First big accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's terrible hope you are okay.

PrettyboyTim

bonj said:
I think this story is a complete load of bollocks to try and upstage prettyboytim's accident. Remember who we're dealing with here.

I think you could easily upstage my accident by walking into a lamppost!

Sorry to hear about your accident, Tynan. I hope you get better soon.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Gosh that sounds terrible - really really painful too. I hope you make a full recovery - you have all my sympathies.

Although it's fantastic that you didn't suffer any life threatening injuries it makes me really really cross that people just don't think about it when there is a cyclist around - even if a car just brushes you and knocks you off/over it's going to physically hurt the cyclist - something that motorists don't have to worry about when they jump out of their car to a scratched bumper or a dent.

Pedestrians need to take note too - they are forever stepping out in front of me and I am sick of having to swerve around them to avoid them. Just coming off your bike and scraping your knee bloody hurts and it's not good enough that nobody seems to care about your safety when you are on a bike.

(Just a general rant there!)

the reluctant cyclist said:
Pedestrians need to take note too - they are forever stepping out in front of me and I am sick of having to swerve around them to avoid them.

That makes me think that you are cycling a little too close to the pavement.

Cab

Twenty Inch said:

Depends on how fast they're going when they step out. I hit one a couple of months ago, three stepped out from one side of the street, two from the other. One way street, single lane, none of them looked. I was right in the middle of the road, I stopped as sharply as I could (and my brakes are good), and I still hit one. Obviously thats a fairly extreme example, but it would be so much easier if people weren't tuned in to listening for engines and actually looked.

Tynan,

Just read this. Bad luck mate :biggrin:. Thank goodness the injuries are not more serious (although they are serious enough). Take care of yourself and I look forward to seeing the pictures :biggrin:.

Shame you didn't have a helmet camera on at the time, it could have been spectacular footage!!:biggrin:

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Twenty Inch said:

Blimey- that's a bit harsh isn't it? :eek:

Pedestrians tend to walk out on me (and indeed other cyclists I see) no matter where I ride - I nearly got knocked off by one when I was overtaking a queue of traffic that was turning left (I was going straight on) and he just ran through the gap in the traffic on the left and straight into me - silly prat. The other ones that do it the most are around the centre of town where there are a lot of traffic lights/bus lanes/speed bumps - I can be in the centre of the bloody road and they still just absent-mindedly cross the road - not looking (usually on the phone) staight in front of me.

I have taken to actually saying - stop walking out in front of me - quite a lot now around town. There will be a thread somewhere about "crazy lady who shouts instructions to peds"!!!:sad:

Are you seriously saying that pedestrians don't ever do anything dangerous around you as they have no comprehension of where/what a bike should be? I don't know how you manage it!xx(

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
howsabout my face in the same pic as the injury and my driving licence in shot bonj?

or the hospital A&E report listing injuries?

would that just be some photoshop retouching

the bike shop's write off report on a destroyed bike?

is there a standard of proof you'd accept

you loathsome man

anyhow for anyone that likes this sort of thing, here's someone's shirt with something that looks like blood and someone's arm with a big plaster on

the doctors going to be ripping that off in a few days, that and all the many hairs on said arm xx(

armS.jpg

shirtS.jpg

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
magnatom said:
Shame you didn't have a helmet camera on at the time, it could have been spectacular footage!!xx(

I'll say, I've got two freeze frames in my mind, a wall of Freelander blocking the road a few feet in front of me

And then looking down from midair and presumably mid sumersault and realising I'm going to land across the curb

Not sure which one I like least tbh

it'd have been superb footage for sure

bonj2

Tynan said:
howsabout my face in the same pic as the injury and my driving licence in shot bonj?

or the hospital A&E report listing injuries?

would that just be some photoshop retouching

the bike shop's write off report on a destroyed bike?

it's clear to me that you're rothbook, so I believe nothing you say.
If 'you' really have had an accident, why is one of the first things on your mind boasting about it and trying to prove it on a forum? You must be anxious for approval.

spindrift

it's clear to me that you're rothbook, so I believe nothing you say.

Guffaw. I can tell you for a fact he's not Rothbook, cos I am!

You nasty, offensive little squirty coward banjo.

Log everything Tynan like Patrick says, I forget the phrase but is it "consequential loss"?

In other words claim for attendant expenses- cabs, those photos, time off work, loss of amenities etc etc etc.

the reluctant cyclist said:
Blimey- that's a bit harsh isn't it? :eek:

Pedestrians tend to walk out on me (and indeed other cyclists I see) no matter where I ride - I nearly got knocked off by one when I was overtaking a queue of traffic that was turning left (I was going straight on) and he just ran through the gap in the traffic on the left and straight into me - silly prat. The other ones that do it the most are around the centre of town where there are a lot of traffic lights/bus lanes/speed bumps - I can be in the centre of the bloody road and they still just absent-mindedly cross the road - not looking (usually on the phone) staight in front of me.

I have taken to actually saying - stop walking out in front of me - quite a lot now around town. There will be a thread somewhere about "crazy lady who shouts instructions to peds"!!!:sad:

Are you seriously saying that pedestrians don't ever do anything dangerous around you as they have no comprehension of where/what a bike should be? I don't know how you manage it!xx(

Sorry, shot from the lip, didn't mean to sound harsh. Peds are creatures of low collective intelligence, prone to doing unpredictable and stupid things. Phones and iPods should have a Darwin effect but the full effects don't seem to be working through the general population yet. You're right, even with the best, most defensive cycling, they'll get in your way. I used to cycle with a whistle, but I hear great things about AirZounds.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
oh and here's a bad picture of the inside of the helmet, cracked through three strands of the right hand side

HatS2.jpg

and that's that until the good lady wife returns with the ghoulish arm shot on her phone, you'll have to wait for my sluggish metabolism to produce bruises

Top Bottom