First boardman road bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thomson

Hi all. Been wanting a new road bike for a while. Looking at boardmans and Cannondales. The one I wanted I didn’t like the colour so back looking at boardmans again. Been deciding between the 8.8 asr and the 8.8adv. Will be used mainly on road but will get out more lanes and paths in the summer. Really want discs so I think it’s between theses two. Is there much difference between these two? The adv has a good few reviews but can’t find much on the asr. I like the colour better on the Asr. People’s thoughts?

And I was thinking about the ctw scheme taking it out over a year? Or going interest free at Halfords over two years so my payments wouldn’t be huge? Any time to hold off till these bikes go down in price?

Any help would be great?
The bike would be used as a second bike. And a just a summer/ weekend fun toy.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Both of them are decent bikes. I was looking for something similar recently (though in the end got a bargain second hand Genesis Vapour), and the 8.8s were both high up on my list. Another bike I found which was interesting was the Merlin Malt-G

I'm not sure when or if they would be put into a sale. Possibly after the summer when the 2020 models start coming out. Don't forget that if you are a British Cycling or Cycling UK member you can get a 10% discount at Halfords.

vickster

Legendary Member
Try them out, cycle republic allow test rides (Halfords don't)

Halfords often have sales around bank holidays, but no guarantees on what model, whether you can get credit etc. You can't get extra cycling org discounts with C2W

If you go C2W or credit, make sure you insure it as you're liable for all payments even if stolen.
Of course with C2W you have to pay it off at the full rate if you leave the company for whatever reason!

mynydd

Veteran
I’ve just bought the ADV 8.9 on the c2w scheme. I really like it, and the brakes are fantastic, they are hydraulic discs. However the 8.8 has cable discs, and I’ve read some pretty poor reviews of them... just something to be aware of.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The ASR has Spyre mechanical disc brakes which are excellent so don't let that worry you. I'd prefer the simplicity of those as opposed to having to mess with hydraulics but that's just me.
I suspect the two might even use the same or similar frame/forks. The ASR is a road bike but would also be able to tackle most tracks and trails whereas the ADV is equipped with fatter tyres for stickier stuff. What sort of riding do you do? Personally I'd go for the former and save the hundred and fifty notes but it's over to you Mr starter.

I’ve got the previous incarnation of the ASR, the Boardman CX Comp.

What I really like about the Boardmans is their smooth welds. The CX has been a solid bike, nothing much has gone wrong with it and It has SKS Bluemel Venture (single stay) guards fitted with 35c gravel tyres, it is lush to ride.

If I remember correctly they tend to sell of the current year models around September time (when I bought mine on C2W). You can get some good savings when they do, usually 20/30% but it is a long time to wait!

OP
OP
T

Thomson

Thank you All. Mostly road cycling and a little off-road like gravel and paths not muddy. I think the asr would suit my needs more. As more a roady bike. Don’t think i can wait till September as ad like to be out this summer on it. Goin to Halfords tomorrow to look at the two bikes. See what they say.

I was looking at their website and they do finance. If I took the asr it’s 40 a month for two years. Which suits my budget better than paying a bit more over a single year.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thank you All. Mostly road cycling and a little off-road like gravel and paths not muddy. I think the asr would suit my needs more. As more a roady bike. Don’t think i can wait till September as ad like to be out this summer on it. Goin to Halfords tomorrow to look at the two bikes. See what they say.

I was looking at their website and they do finance. If I took the asr it’s 40 a month for two years. Which suits my budget better than paying a bit more over a single year.
Don’t forget to budget for insurance. Even own fault accident cover. Check with your home insurers in the first instance

OP
OP
T

Thomson

Went to Halfords and they only had the adv in. As much as I liked it I just didn’t like the colour scheme and really want to see the asr. Spoke to the guy in Halfords a awhile and he said cycle republic should have the bike I want in. Checked their website and they do 18months interest free. Will go for that save myself £160 over four months. . Just need to get a chance to go up and see the bike!

AyJay

Über Member
Ask at Halfords if they have any new old stock. There are some great deals going if you can find any of these. Don't take to much notice of the public Halfords web site, they have an internal site which only the shops can see. They can get them delivered to you or your local store.

Top Bottom