first commute on a fixie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neslon

A Carlton Corsair I bought second hand in 1982 has been propping up a shelf in my sisters greenhouse for years, until I reclaimed it, threw away all the rusty bits & moss, then took it to the lbs for fixie conversion (all hail to Edinburgh Bike in Newcastle). Got it last night and (ambitiously) used it to go to work in Cramlington (about 10 miles north). Unfortunately, I forgot I had to go to meeting in Morpeth (6 miles further) then cycle home from there.
It's a bit hilly, and the whole fixed thing took some getting used to - i think I love it, but my thighs are stinging!

It's great, isn't it?

Don't forget to keep pedalling though.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Just remember to keep it slow and smooth for the first few weeks. It's when you go fast and something unexpected happens that makes you need to brake quickly that it's more likely you'll have a stop-pedaling moment.

I'm a fan of clipless pedals for fixed, because if it goes wrong at least your feet stay attached to the pedals most of the time, and that gives you a small chance of recovering and carrying on, rather than having your feet slip off and having a crash.

OP
OP
N

neslon

Its a strange business - I went out at the weekend for a big (60m+) round Northumberland on the road bike and enjoyed it, but I'm still getting more of a buzz commuting on the fixie. All that guff you lot spout about simplicity, purity & Zen might be right:ohmy:

ASC1951

Guru
BentMikey said:
Just remember to keep it slow and smooth for the first few weeks. It's when you go fast and something unexpected happens that makes you need to brake quickly that it's more likely you'll have a stop-pedaling moment.
I do about a quarter of my riding on fixed and after ten years still cause myself the occasional shock - it's always when I try to stand on the pedals to look back at a junction or something I've just passed. Haven't quite been thrown into the road yet, but I won't be surprised if I am.

Apart from that it has been Zen all the way.

Oh, and don't forget the Chain Brute and a few spare links. On a fixed, that is "walk home from here".

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Maybe it's the standing to look back that needs changing? I'm sure it must be hard to look back often enough if you have to stand every time!

domtyler

Über Member
I seem to love my fixie more and more every time I ride it. It just goes like its on rails, so fast, so nimble, so agile, so manoeuvrable. It is just a dream, a real pleasure to ride, I love it!

ASC1951

Guru
BentMikey said:
Maybe it's the standing to look back that needs changing? I'm sure it must be hard to look back often enough if you have to stand every time!
But I'm not old enough for a recumbent yet; and I can't cycle in sandals. :eek:

Top Bottom