First commute with SPDs...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I had my first ever experience using SPDs this afternoon, and I have to say I can't believe I didn't try them sooner!

When my CRC delivery arrived at the office (Shimano M520 pedals and MT42 shoes) I swithered whether or not I should fit the pedals for my commute home. I had visions of the experience being uncomfortable, and of not being able to unclip and having an embarrassing moment amidst the rush hour traffic I get caught up in half way home....

Needless to say I just went for it! With the pedals and cleats fitted, I tried a few practice clip-ins and outs, and found that I actually struggled to clip IN at first... I wasn't exactly confident as I set off, and for the first couple of miles I was more conscious of my feet than ever before.

I did feel much more connected to the bike though, and after those uneasy first few miles things seemed to fall into place - the pedalling was indeed much more efficient, and I actually felt safer with my feet fixed.

The big test came when a friendly cyclist going the other way signalled me to stop for a chat (nice chap). There were no lamp-posts to lean on, but I remembered to unclip and managed not to fall over!

Even better, I had to get going again and it was an uphill start - talk about baptism by fire? It turns out I needn't have worried as I got clipped in instantly and was on my way again happy as Larry!

A good day :-)

Don't relax, at least one fall at some point is almost compulsory, but you are doing great!

Thomk

Guru
I've been using them for a few weeks and have come off twice. The first time was me being stupid after a few day use and I fell into the road :eek: The second was this week when I stopped to look at a cycle path info sign and forgot to unclip :headshake:

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I've been havey-quavering for a few months now about whether to go spd or not. At the moment I use toe clip/cages, which are o.k. apart from clipping the mud guards with my toes whilst turning sometimes, but I have no real complaints about using them for my 23 mile daily commute.

It also comes down to cost vs reward as the set up I was considering (Shimano MT42 shoes and Shimano A530 pedals) is around 90 quid (online).....probably around the same price as your set-up. Cost does come into it because I'm wanting to upgrade from my basic Allez 16 to an Allez Elite in the next couple of months. (I save the 40 quid a week I save by cycling to work in a special 'bike only' account.)

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
For maximum effect unclip with one foot and then overbalance the other way, preferably just outside where you work :blush:

LOL! It's funny, that scenario was going through my mind on my run home - being conscious to unclip the foot you're actually going to put down... Hopefully over-analysing from the outset will help me build an "unclip reflex" so that I never forget. Unfortunately, I have a very bad memory :biggrin:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I've been havey-quavering for a few months now about whether to go spd or not. At the moment I use toe clip/cages, which are o.k. apart from clipping the mud guards with my toes whilst turning sometimes, but I have no real complaints about using them for my 23 mile daily commute.

It also comes down to cost vs reward as the set up I was considering (Shimano MT42 shoes and Shimano A530 pedals) is around 90 quid (online).....probably around the same price as your set-up.

I've only recently started commuting (28 mile round trip), and this is my 2nd week doing 3 days :smile: I've always used clips and straps, but even just with one trip I can see how much better the SPDs are going to be. There's a little bit of twist movement there when clipped in, but your foot stays in the right place through the pedal stroke - that's a good thing IMHO having had my feet slip about laterally when using straps. Feels different being able to both pull and push too - much more efficient.

At the end of the day I wanted dedicated cycling shoes, and bought mine from Chain Reaction Cycles - the MT42 shoes were £55 and the M520 pedals only £23 (they come with cleats) with the extra 10% off on Tuesday sealing the deal - £71 all in, delivered :whistle: Overshoes (complete with free beanie and lights set from Planet-X) took my total spend to just over £90 but I think it was worth it.

For maximum effect unclip with one foot and then overbalance the other way, preferably just outside where you work :blush:

Or in front of a busy bus stop at rush hour, which broke my virginity! (The shame...)

Good work fella...Glad you're getting on well with them
smile.gif
they really do make a difference. Would be interested to know if you feel sore in different muscles over the next few days...when I switched to SPDs it seemed like was using a new range of muscles all over again.
Russ

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Good work fella...Glad you're getting on well with them
smile.gif
they really do make a difference. Would be interested to know if you feel sore in different muscles over the next few days...when I switched to SPDs it seemed like was using a new range of muscles all over again.
Russ
Cheers Russ - feels like I made use of different muscles tonight for sure... I'll be interested myself to see how things feel after a few more runs under SPD power!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Next trick is trying to pedal right through the stroke, rather than stamping and lifting. I still only manage to do this occassionally.

There are various discussions about efficiency and what effect SPDs can play in this, but the best bit is when you need a lot of extra torque (e.g. sharp up-hill bit), and you can engage both sets of muscles and almost throw the bike over the brow.

Oh, and check those screws that hold the cleats onto the shoe regularly. Only had one clipless moment when I'd lost one fixing, and therefore couldn't release one foot. Mananged the entire journey unclipping the other foot until the last junction, just by home. Thought I could do it without stopping, but realised I couldn't just as I was leaning over to take the corner. Stopped, and knew I was going to fall. And fell.

Top Bottom