First Commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boselecta

Yey, at last I finally decided to get the commute started!

After much debating last night if the weather would be good for cycling or not (forcast wind/rain) or if I should wait till Wednesday (sunny)!! I finally come to the conclusion that if I'm going to make a lifesyle change like this, then I would need to attack 95% of this Brittish weather anyway so I "grew a pair" and went for it this morning 10 miles in a little wind/rain---no problems. I really enjoyed it and will be looking forward to the rest of the week now! and next month (which feels like a year away) I will be ditching my old MTB and finally get my new Road bike which I'm hoping will make the 10 miles even more enjoyable :smile:

BenM

Veteran
Well done - you only get wet once and there is no such thing as bad weather - just bad clothing :biggrin:

Seriously, ignore the weather and commuting is just fine - I have been doing that for 20 years and am none the worse for it :smile:

B.

Brommie77

Well done and welcome to the world of commuters. You have started at a good time as the weather will get nicer and the days longer so that when the winter comes you are so addicted you wouldn't even think of getting back in the car/on the bus etc.

subaqua

What’s the point
Glad to see you MTFU/HTFU and did it. even better that you enjoyed it. it makes it easier when you enjoy.

I started in september last year when it was still warm and dry, so the rain and snow in december was a bit of a shock. never missed a day since I started though except for the 4days leading to Xmas after i slid off on ice and hospital advised i rest for a few days. worst days of the project so far too !!

subaqua

What’s the point
and the H is for Harden a phrase used by Chopper Read (sic) a notorious aussie nutcase :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well done - you only get wet once and there is no such thing as bad weather - just bad clothing :biggrin:

+1

Apart from when it is really bad like when it hit - 15 or so and was snowing ( i am on 23 mm slicks ) i cycle in all weathers.
Once you get your clothing right and get the right attitude cycling is normally more fun than driving ,whatever the weather !

OP
OP
B

boselecta

I agree with you, I dont think I will mind cycling in all weather Sun/Rain/Sleet/Snow/Sub-Zero however the one weather condition that will and IS gonna cause me troubles is the bloody wind!!!!

Had 10 miles of pretty much constant head wind, which made my ride home really tough going, prehaps just need to MTFU a little. I hope this isnt a regular occourance but I have a feeling it will be as I live on the Fens (which is very flat and I think this gives the wind chance to pick up some menance)

Maybe over time and miles the wind will just be something I look back on and think what was the fuss about? (please say it gets easier!)

Any way I dont intend to let this stop me just yet and am still looking foorward the rest of the weeks commute, allthough my legs are aching and I hope they feel better for tomorrow :smile:

madguern

Well done, this is how it all starts. First the commute, then you start looking at on-line sites and bike shops. Then the packages start arriving at your house with all sort of gear. :-)

But really all worth it....

Top Bottom