First cycle commute ever !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shady

Well finally bit the bullet and decided to cycle into work for the first time today.

After giving the mountain bike a spruce up, I got kitted up in my warm gear and went out in the cold dark morning.

Commute in wasn't too bad, most motorists were pretty decent in giving plenty of room but had two vehicles pass me almost clipping my elbows, surprise surprise in white vans!

The commute in was about 3.8 miles in about 18 mins and thankfully we have a working shower at the office.

Commute home I went the scenic route on the heritage trail which makes the journey about 5 miles which took about 30 - 35 mins - taking it easy after a long day.

But by hell was I tired when I got home, hopefully it will get easier !!!

Shady
:smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well done.. keep it up and it will only get better and easier for you.

I remember my first or somewhere round my first cycle commute in 1981...Barkingside-Hainault.

I was too tight to catch the tube.

Keith Oates

Janner
Well done Shady, a new phase of your life has just started and I'm sure you will get to enjoy it more and more as time and fitness improves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

col

Legendary Member
Aye it will get easier,but you will only push harder so you wont notice much.

col

Legendary Member
hackbike 666 said:
Yeah im getting old and decrepit.:smile:

How old are you?Im 47 in march and just feel decrepid;)

col

Legendary Member
hackbike 666 said:
Forty Five.

No booze in a month though which is good for me.So perhaps that will make a difference.

Ah i have the other vice of smoking,very rare i drink,never a day goes by and im saying to myself i have to stop,only problem is iv been telling myself that for years.

I gave up smoking on 31/12/1999.

I was going to cut down on the booze because my 7 day stints of work really do knacker me and make me prone to illness.Booze is no help on my days off.Perhaps I will get used to this.

One rule in giving up cigs.Never touch another one if you do give up as you will only start again.I did on the many times I tried before.

col

Legendary Member
hackbike 666 said:
I gave up smoking on 31/12/1999.

I was going to cut down on the booze because my 7 day stints of work really do knacker me and make me prone to illness.Booze is no help on my days off.Perhaps I will get used to this.

One rule in giving up cigs.Never touch another one if you do give up as you will only start again.I did on the many times I tried before.

Did you use patches or something else like gum?Longest iv gone is four or five days,then i miserably started again.Its so easy to find an excuse to start,but not the other way round it seems.
And and well done,how long had you smoked for?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Well done Shady! If you can start now in the winter, you'll be breezing the commute by spring and summer, and you'll have a nice amount of fitness to blow past all the fair weather cyclists by then.

Top Bottom