First Lidl waterproofs test...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

caimg

Über Member
...aaaaand a bit of a fail really. Picked up the jacket and trousers from their supa-dupa best-ever world-beating cheapo extravaganza recently and as anyone in London (at least) will attest, today is the day for them!

Went and did a few laps of the regents park loop, chance to test the contour roam in the wet too. Got home, and had thoroughly damp base layers, from top to Lycra shorts. On top of that, my hair was fairly soaked despite having the hood of the jacket on under my helmet.

No doubt I would have been wetter without it all but it certainly didn't keep me dry. Of course, it could have all been sweat, but I wasn't pushing hard enough to be as wet from sweat as I was!

Unfortunately the LIDL clothing has always let me down.
Just waiting for the ALDI cycle stuff as the clothing has always been great.
Used their base layer and long sleeve stuff for winter SE for 4 years - excellent.
I didn't get any padded longs from there last autumn and I wish I had as my mate did and they are brill.
Should be in the next couple of weeks I think.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
One of leg zips has just gone on my lidl bib longs, they've been hammered for commuting and pleasure all winter so had money out of them and could still use them to a fashion.
Yeah you get what you pay for but theres still bargains out there

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Lidl motorbike thermal underwear is brilliant.

To get good waterproofs that keep the rain off but also do not fill up with sweat, often cost a good wad of money.

Steve

Doug.

Veteran
You get what you pay for, i won't buy cheap gear. lol
If you can "get what you pay for" you are indeed very lucky.
Have bought expensive products that turned out to be crap and conversely cheap products that happened to be outstandingly good.
Not suggesting that either of the above is the norm.
I would suggest that the Axum of "you pays your money and takes you chance "is more likely.
Yours
Doug.

jud

I cannot comment on lidl but as for Aldi the saying you get what you pay for is not correct - you get more than you pay for. I have bought numerous clothing items for running and cycling and whilst being hesitant at their relatively low price initially would not hesitate to keep buying.
I suffer from reynards and until recently I have been suffering when the temperature drops below zero and after two miles had to return in agony.
I had bought the most expensive gloves from a National cycle retailer {not halfords} who only sell you their most expensive item and also bought expensive silk under gloves only to take the gloves back twice despite being assured that they were tested in the alps - I assume they meant in a cabin in the summer with a log fire as they had not been out in Yorkshire in the cold.
I was recommended golf mittens (to be fair they are mittens) from Aldi at £ 5.99 (more recently £ 8.00) and the only problem with these is that they get too warm.
I can now go out in any temperature and am not concerned about having to drag myself home wet and freezing.
I do tend to wear an extremely old discoloured rainproof top which cost a lot some years ago but apart from that I would say give the Aldi clothes a try when they are available

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
Bought the Lidl w/proof over trousers last year and they are still going strong. Bought another pair (8.99)a short while ago and they have kept me dry recently. I will never go back to paying £40 for a pair that started leaking after a short while.

JDP

Andiamo
I had bought the most expensive gloves from a National cycle retailer {not halfords} who only sell you their most expensive item and also bought expensive silk under gloves only to take the gloves back twice despite being assured that they were tested in the alps - I assume they meant in a cabin in the summer with a log fire as they had not been out in Yorkshire in the cold.
I was recommended golf mittens (to be fair they are mittens) from Aldi at £ 5.99 (more recently £ 8.00) and the only problem with these is that they get too warm.
I can now go out in any temperature and am not concerned about having to drag myself home wet and freezing.

I suffer from Raynauds as well and I'd put my Aldi winter gloves on a par with my Sealskinz winter gloves. They are as warm (although not quite as waterproof) but for £6.99 compared to £35 I'd say they are a damn good buy.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The Aldi showerproof jacket (the one that screws up into a little pouch) is indeed showerproof.
As I found out a week ago, it is not torrential-downpour proof.
Still pretty good though. The waterproof cycling gloves are far too warm for me to have ever used them for cycling. They're bloody good for skiing though.

Top Bottom