First Longish Run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Right decided to bike and not jog today so wanted to do a decent distance, for me. I did a hilly 19miler, which was a circuit hence not the 20. I went from Singleton to East Dean, Duncton, (down the hill hit 35 mph), Graffam, Cocking (up a big hill there, cycled all the way but stopped for a quick breather twice :biggrin: ) then back down to Singleton. Had to head out for an appointment with the solicitors the Mrs set up to make out my will :blush: what timing.
It felt real good, (the ride) was wondering should I have stopped about half way for a drink and take in the views or just keep going, which I did and drank at the house. I know 19 m isn't a long ride really but it was a good start for me.....I'm really getting into this cycling malarky. Should be even better when I get a bike that fits.
The stats were 19m AHR 147 01:33:03 12.3mph or 04:54 min mile's.
Roy

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Keep riding that circuit every so often and you'll be surprised about the improvements you make as you get the miles in.

RedBike

19m hilly miles in 1.5hours isn't bad at all espeshially concidering you kept stopping.

In 6 / 12 months time you'll probably be using the phrase ' just a quicik 20miles' !

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Ha I wish ' just a quick 20miles' I stopped twice but it was only for a minute each time. Not bad I suppose for a 50 y/o newbie.
Thanks guys

fossyant

Keep at it mate... worth making a note of your circuits/training and logging the time. I don't log anything with the commute - just the distance, but training runs I log it, including weather. In the last 18 months I saw a 47 mile hilly (Peak District) come down from 3 hours to under 2-30, both ridden in less than ideal conditions - very windy !

I know this is a little on from your times, but you'll see equally impressive time gains on a circuit. Do you, or are you able to commute to work....'cos it's the best way to get very fit, fast, and saves 'family time'.....

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Thanks Fossy, I live about 60 miles from work but could ride the 7 mile to the station. I also jog anything from 20 - 35 mile a week. I use a garmin 305 for the jogging and now the bike but would like to see improvements on the times. Record it all via garmin training centre.
When training on the long rides do you stop for a break?

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you want to stop for breaks buy a mountain bike! Mountain biking is much less intense than road riding.

fossyant

I don't stop - long rides it's an energy drink for fuel, and a banana, flapjack sort of stuff if needed.

Not even allowed to get off on hills, not even 1 in 4's (you'll get like this soon - the bug will bite)

Do you normally commute on the train then ? If so check out secure parking at the station (e.g. bike lockers) if you intend leaving the bike there - easy targets.

Downward

Guru
That's good going - I am trying to average about 5 mins per mile currently - That'll do me and 20 miles is more than I have done in one go.
I will have to have a crack at it tomorrow morning now !

forty-two

The Jogger said:
Right decided to bike and not jog today so wanted to do a decent distance, for me. I did a hilly 19miler, which was a circuit hence not the 20. I went from Singleton to East Dean, Duncton, (down the hill hit 35 mph), Graffam, Cocking (up a big hill there, cycled all the way but stopped for a quick breather twice :blush: ) then back down to Singleton. Had to head out for an appointment with the solicitors the Mrs set up to make out my will :eek: what timing.
It felt real good, (the ride) was wondering should I have stopped about half way for a drink and take in the views or just keep going, which I did and drank at the house. I know 19 m isn't a long ride really but it was a good start for me.....I'm really getting into this cycling malarky. Should be even better when I get a bike that fits.
The stats were 19m AHR 147 01:33:03 12.3mph or 04:54 min mile's.
Roy
So close to Singleton Hill past the Weald and Downland Museum and you didn't take the challange:biggrin: Shame on you!

RedBike

I stop. It's almost compulsary on a long ride to stop at a cafe somewhere. It saves trying to carry 4/5 water bottles and pocket fulls of food.

Ha I wish ' just a quick 20miles'

The distance will come quicker than you think. Running 20miles in a week would kill me offl but I bet you'd class that as an easy week.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
forty-two said:
So close to Singleton Hill past the Weald and Downland Museum and you didn't take the challange:biggrin: Shame on you!

No but I've run from Singleton to West Dean and up to the top of the Trundle then down to Charlton and back. Right I will go for that over the weekend! I think:smile: East Dean hill is also a cracker......

forty-two

May well see you out then. Im tackling the Bognor Hilly 28 route. Leaving Chichester at 9 ish after the main rush to get into the Revival is over.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
RedBike said:
The distance will come quicker than you think. Running 20miles in a week would kill me offl but I bet you'd class that as an easy week.

RedBike a good pair of running shoes and running very easy, you would soon get the miles up.

42 Don't know that route, I ride a black spezialized sirrus hybrid, so if you see an old overweight baldy struggling up the hill, that'll be me:biggrin:

Top Bottom