First post - first ride = painful!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobbedazzler

Hi all

New to the forum and very new to cycling (since being about 12 yrs old that is). I've borrowed a ladies mountain bike from a friend in an attempt to get fit. My plan was that if I enjoyed the cycling then I would splash out on a new bike and hopefully end up cycling to work (5 miles each way, seems reasonable enough....... you'd think!).

Well, I love the cycling (been using a closed industrial estate to just get used to being on a bike again) so I attempted a 5 mile bike ride......... and OMG my legs were killing!!! I nearly had to stop and walk the last mile home.

The pain seemed to be just above my knees on both legs, not further up where the bigger muscles are, but in an area of about 5 inches from each knee up!! At first I just thought it was down to my terrible fitness levels, but anyone who I've spoken to since who cycles says that it shouldn't be painful.

The bike I'm using has the saddle as high as it will go, but I'm wondering whether I need a higher seat???

When I sit on the seat I can just about touch the floor with both of my feet flat.

I sooo want to cycle to work but the pain was a real killer - and 5 miles isn't that far ..... when I'm driving to and from work I see people riding along looking like they don't have a care in the world .. whereas I thought my legs were about to drop off!!

Could it just be my terrible fitness levels?? If so, will it get better quite quickly if I stick with it?? I only rode a mile last night because my legs were hurting again ..... but like I say, not the big muscles, just the bit above each knee.

Thanks in advance for any advice/replies/suggestions you can give.

Jo x

HelenD123

Guru
Sounds like you're seat's too low. I think the rule is that you should have a straight leg with your heel on the pedal at bottom of the stroke (don't cycle like this though). Most people are on tip toes or can't even touch the floor with the seat at the right height.

Adrian_K

Über Member
bobbedazzler said:
Hi all

The pain seemed to be just above my knees on both legs, not further up where the bigger muscles are, but in an area of about 5 inches from each knee up!! At first I just thought it was down to my terrible fitness levels, but anyone who I've spoken to since who cycles says that it shouldn't be painful.

both legs = good, believe it or not!! it means that you're in balance and not doing yourself damage.

bobbedazzler said:
The bike I'm using has the saddle as high as it will go, but I'm wondering whether I need a higher seat???

When I sit on the seat I can just about touch the floor with both of my feet flat.

Sound like the bike is too small - with the the pedal at its lowest position and the ball of your foot on the pedal, your leg should be slightly bent. Most likely this will mean being able to comfortably touch tiptoes on the ground on both sides.

Having your legs bent so far will really work the muscles just above the knee.

The other one to bare in mind is to use a lower gear, so you pedal faster but this puts a lot less strain on your muscles

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Welcome to the site.

As per OP's, yep sounds like your bike is too small.
And also if you have just returned to cycling after a long period of not doing so then your muscles will take time to get used to it.

OP
OP
B

bobbedazzler

Wow thanks for your speedy replies and warm welcome everyone, really appreciate it.

Just wondering, if the seat is too low could I (just for the time being whilst I'm 'practicing') get a longer saddle stem or is the possibility that the bike is too small quite a big issue on its own?

I'm only asking because before I borrowed this bike, I borrowed my brothers which I can sit on and touch the floor with my tip toes .... but I felt like it was really big and that I wouldn't be able to control it properly so opted for the smaller option.

I'm only 5ft 5 but I do have quite long legs for my height, could this be causing a problem too?

Maybe I should just practice a little on my brother's bike, see if the 'eeek ... tooooo biiiiig' feeling will go!?!?

Is there some way I can measure how big the bike and how high the saddle should be for my height??

Thanks, Jo x

on the road

Über Member
You mean seatpost (sometimes called seatpin). I'm not sure if you can get a longer seatpost, I think they only come in one size.

RedBike

To get the saddle at the right height put your heal on the pedal (while it's at the bottom) and extend the seat until your leg is straight.

It does sound like you've got the wrong sized bike but you can just buy longer seat posts.

With the saddle at the correct height you probably wont be able to touch the floor with both feet while remaining seated.

OP
OP
B

bobbedazzler

Great thanks, I'll try the foot/pedal test tonight and if need be buy a longer seatpost for the time being (until I decide if cycling is for me, when I'll shell out for a new bike of my own).

Thanks again for all your help.

Jo x

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Take the old seat post with you to the bike shop so you get the right type but longer.Maybe the bike shop guy will have a look at the bike for U to see if its worth bothering,if the bike is way too small it isnt ever going to be comfortable as the distance from seat to handlebars also needs to be right.

If you havent ridden for years its not unusual to have aching legs after 5 miles (I did when I started 6 months ago). If you keep at it it gets easier quite quickly.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Banjo said:
Take the old seat post with you to the bike shop so you get the right type but longer.

plus one on that - there are lots of different diameters and even a fraction of mm wrong can make it useless (esp if too big!)

I'm sure once your sizing is sorted, you'll be fine - just work up the distances gradually. And plus one to whoever mentioned using a low gear - spin your feet round, rather than grinding too hard...

And welcome!

Top Bottom