First proper(ish) tour :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Howdo.

Me and the SMGTe are just back from a loop around Dieppe. 3 DFs and a bent, with me filming as we go. We took in somewhere between 165 - 200 miles all in, with the SMGTe frequently becoming the workhorse for (other peoples) panniers.

Route was (roughly):

Day 1:
Dieppe > Treport > Saint Valery-Sur-Somme
Low miles, getting the group together, settling in.

Day 2:
Saint Valery > Le Crotoy > Quend Plage les Pins > Pende > Gamaches > Saint Germain-sur-Bresle
Highlights would be chasing the train around the bay, getting lost (on a beach no less), relieving my (struggling) buddy of his panniers and forging on ahead with full load, only to find that I'd gone the wrong way and climbed a few hundred metres into the wrong town. Three times.

Day 3:
St Germain > Aumale (where said buddy put his bike and self into a taxi to Neufchatel-en-Bray) > Gaillefontaine > Avenue Verte > Dieppe.
High points: high miles, undulation, good weather, good speed.
Low points: climbing off the Avenue Verte. The bugg3rs.

Recorded the whole thing at 1 minute intervals here:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCwVQu9TJ7A

All in, still very impressed with the bent. One knee is a little creaky (mostly from the climbs with double loads, and picking the wrong gear (is there a right one?) for deep sand. Otherwise, I'm totally fine. Back is utterly pain free. Muscles feel good still. Arms and wrists completely relaxed. Mmmmm :wacko:

Very pleased at how well she carries a load. Hadn't expected to get my rear rack raided quite so heavily, but she's geared to cope with it and was never anything less than willing to climb.

The beach was another experience all together of course. I'm not sure how much of a sugar deficiency one needs to think that 'a quick cut across the bay before the tide comes in' is a good route on a bicycle.
Still, I did no less well than my companion on his DF. Which is to say, terribly B)

Andy.

What kind of pedals are you using?

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

A pair of Shimano M324 single sided SPDs. I had the same ones on my DF, and they were a bit of a pain really as they tended to settle on their sides. Hated them on that bike.

On the bent, this same trait means they rest with cleats facing me. Perfect for quick entry. Of course, having my feet in view most of the day means I can always check which way up they are in an emergency.

Combined with a bent, these are pretty much perfect for my use.

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

LOL. Believe me, when I'm bonked on a sugar deficiency, horizontal on a bent, and touring on the wrong side of the road, knowing which way up my feet are would be a marked improvement ;)

In contrast to popular usage, I find "head over heels" about the best configuration when standing.

The odds are you need pedals with more float, you exert more pressure on your knees riding recumbent, the Shimano pedals centre as push through the stroke putting stress on the ankle/knee/hip interface, you should go for pedals with free float that allow the interface to find its own natural angle.

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

That's a good suggestion Catrike. I am aware of a creaky left knee, and the tendon at the back of my ankle seems to be indexed in a whole new way. Got any recommendations?

I've been avoiding issues by spinning, but there's no good gear for stumbling across a beach. :smile:

I use Time Atac, but anything similar like eggbeaters or the new Look MTB pedals would be as good. Frogs are also very good but the cleat is prone to damage when walking.

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Ah... now you fooled me there for a while with that K. Couldn't find a thing at any of my friendly online suppliers that matched it... ;)

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Ooops. Sorry. Right you were. Can't access this site from work, and wrote 'time atak' down instead of atac. Silly boy. I take it all back. My fault.

I'm looking at the Time Roc Atac S Pedals and thinking they look about the right performance / price ratio. My only worry is that being recumbent, they may be weighted to land edge on? Do you think that'd be an issue, or can I just kick them round and slot in?

Again apologies. ;)

arallsopp said:
Ooops. Sorry. Right you were. Can't access this site from work, and wrote 'time atak' down instead of atac. Silly boy. I take it all back. My fault.

I'm looking at the Time Roc Atac S Pedals and thinking they look about the right performance / price ratio. My only worry is that being recumbent, they may be weighted to land edge on? Do you think that'd be an issue, or can I just kick them round and slot in?

Again apologies. :sad:

That's the amazing thing about pedals they have an axle so the spin around, :eek:. I sell those ones for £50, they are a good pedal. You do realise I ride a recumbent don't you?

By the way I edited my post with the "k". ;)

Top Bottom