First puncture on road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KingstonBiker

I switched from a hybrid to a road bike (Secteur Elite) around a year ago. Mentioned smuggly to a fellow cyclist in the office that I hadn't had a visit from the PF on my new bike. Half way to work this morning then it happened.

Not an issue I thought. Spare inner tube, tire levers, pump all in my rucksack. Found the offending spear shaped piece of flint, whipped the rear wheel off, changed the tube and ready to put wheel back on in less than 2 minutes. Feeling pleased with myself until it took me another 10 minutes (yes 10 frustrating minutes) to get the wheel back on.

Still not sure how it took me so long although I have learned next time to have some latex type gloves as I was completely covered in oil by the end of the exercise.

Guess I need to practice putting the wheel back on when not at the side of a busy road.

aberal

Guru
Guess I need to practice putting the wheel back on when not at the side of a busy road.

Yes you do.
rolleyes.gif
And welcome to the forum.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
What gear where you in on the rear, big cog or smaller?

Personally I've found that it doesn't matter so much which gear you were in, more that you put it back around the same ring when you've finished - i.e. the ring the dérailleur is adjusted to. Otherwise you're just fighting with your chain.

Keith Oates

Janner
I always put it on the highest gear (smallest rear cog) and find that's the easiest way to go. However I must add that it goes back fairly easy on most occasions but there is always one time when it doesn't and that's when you have an audiance watching you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oliglynn

Über Member
A year without a visit from the PF is good going - converted from hybrid to roadie less than a year ago and have already had 2 snakebite p's. Have had a grand total of zero on the hybrid running 700x32c's
cool.gif

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Not had to change a tyre at the roadside so long that I've forgetton how to do it.
whistling.gif

Those Marathon Pluses are a real beaut.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Smallest ring works best for me, and I've finally mastered the knack of pulling the derailleur back as I put the wheel back on so that it pretty much pops straight back into the drop-outs with no effort at all.

Actually got to practice it all again this morning as a thorn-shaped piece of flint embedded itself into the tyre on the way into work. Managed to get the tools out, wheel off, tube changed, reinflated and back on the road in just under 10 mins. Must admit though, I got the tyre 3/4 up with the Road Morph but finished it off with a CO2 inflator. The reason? The pump started heating up, squeaking and getting hard to push - think a little bit of lube is required!

OP
OP
K

KingstonBiker

Thanks for all the useful responses. For some reason I made the wrong decision and switched to the largest sprocket before removing the wheel.

Maybe I need to go on a cycle maintenance course. I've noticed Evans run some free ones. Anyone have any experience of them?

I've had some fiddly moments where the wheel just wouldn't sit in properly. Best is to step back and watch it go in properly... if you feel you need to force it, you've done it wrong.

Top Bottom