First ride on new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abo

I decided to defy my back pain and nip into town (6 mile round trip, no distance really) to replace the tyre levers I bent the other day. I got some Cyclepro ones with metal inserts...

The new bike rides lovely, just seems to whip along compared with the old bike, front forks are a lot stiffer which is probably better for me being on the large side but I love the gear selection; much much smoother.

Anyway, a needless close pass by a taxi driver (who I assume didn't like me riding outside the door zone) annoyed me a bit especially considering I was faster than him once we got to the top of the hill due to the traffic.

Then, when I'd got into the town centre, two lanes of traffic either side of the road, I was nearly offed my some WVM dickhead. So... I proceeded to chase him down, caught him and gave him a load of verbal, including the immortal words 'could you get any zarking closer you c**t'. I'm a bit disappointed with myself really, partly because I'd shook my head at a chav couple further up the road who were having one of those sort of swear conversations that they have.

Still, I like my bike. 13.1 mph average including the time spent browsing in the shop. Back still hurts :sad:

Hip Priest

Veteran
Snap. I did my first bit of swearing today. A woman on the opposite carriageway turned right across my path. I did the old 'Woah!' and we both managed to slam on before any cyclist / bonnet interface occured. If she'd have apologised, I would've been fine, but she ignored me so I call her a "f*cking idiot" and rode on. Felt bad, 'cause although she was driving badly I don't like losing my temper and generally try not to. Note to self: be more zen.

I did some "extremely rare" swearing today too - just after a lorry had past me so close it ruffled my hair through my hemet. My hair cut is a No 1!!! Unfortunately I was cruising down a dual carriageway and wasn't far enough along to be able to exchange views with the driver when he had to stop at a roundabout!

OP
OP
abo

abo

Lol forgot to mention, my new bars are too wide to fit through some of the pinch points on my local cycle track. I have to pick the front of the bike up, turn the wheel through 90 degrees and walk it through the pinch point.

Is there an 's' missing from you user name abo ;-) Its understandable to lose it though with some of the muppets out there. I can't recall ever chasing somebody down though, I usually like to cruise by when they are stuck in traffic and hopefully they then see the irony of it, if not its their problem.

OP
OP
abo

abo

Is there an 's' missing from you user name abo ;-)

Heh I got that a bit when I was involved with the race car (zoom in on the middle of the image)

asbo.jpg

Nebulous

Guru
It gets better- you learn to avoid conflict by better positioning, and you also learn to let it go. You have to for your own sanity.

One of the advantages of growing older is that you mellow, as the hormones decrease. I've lost a lot of weight though, and seen a huge increase inmy fitness ( from a very low base) I found myself getting angry one day and I thought this used to happen to me long ago. I sometimes think I'm knocking 50 with a 35 year olds testosterone!

Top Bottom