First ride over 20 miles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rollon

Reading topics about first 50 and 100 miles leaves me gobsmacked. I did my first ride over 20 miles today on my Spec Tricross with a reasonably heavy rack bag come panniers. It was only my third ride since getting knocked off five weeks ago. Over a very undulating route and wishing at times I had an extra gear (I have 27) I managed 33 miles in 3 hours cycling. 3.5 hours altogether. I was slightly proud that I managed all the hills without getting off and pushing.
My cycling ambitions are towards touring rather than racing, I am a 63 year old novice, still fit from over 50 years of Fell running etc, but cycling is different and I foresee difficulties in trying to manage 60 or more miles a day, day in day out with a full touring rack.
Trying hard and hoping to become better.
Dave.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
If you can run up hills, you should get to the 100 mile mark without too many problems!

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Hi Dave,

you'll surprise yourself, with your fell running history you should have more than enough stamina. What you haven't mentioned is your cycling history/expertise. Is there a possibility that your bike isn't set up properly for you, i.e. saddle height etc? That could possibly make a big difference.

The trick with touring is to take it easy, especially with a fully loaded bike, and during the first couple of days. After a few days you hardly notice the extra load, until you go out for a quick spin without it - feels like you are flying :ohmy:.

We do a couple hours cycling in the morning, have a tea/coffee/cake stop in a scenic place, then carry on for a bit before lunch, etc, you get the idea :boxing:. You'll have covered 100 k before you realise it. I like to stop and take photos, or even do some sightseeing and short walks up hills I come across when touring.

The trouble is, it's addictive, so you'll be planning the next tour before you return home :rolleyes:

Have fun!

T

OP
OP
R

Rollon

Thanks for the words of encouragement, its inspiring and I get the guist of how tours are managed.
As for my cycling history - there isnt any. My first time on a bike in 40 years was roughly 3 months ago.
Regarding the bike set up, I think its right now, after a few adjustments and re-adjustments its feeling correct.
The physical side of things compared to running is like doing Fartleks or running the hills hard and easing off in between. However on the bike you can stop peddling and give the legs a complete rest. Of course theres much more to think about, like, gears, braking, traffic, position and observation.
I guess Ive always been impatient with progression. My way off getting back from a bad injury after a substantial lay off, was to go for a 20 mile run, and was never any good at easing into things.
I know the tyres on my Tricross do stick to the road a bit and slow you down, but I will have to stick with them as like today I finished off with a few miles along the canal towpath.
Dave.

Arch

Married to Night Train
If you can do 20, then 25 isn't such a big jump, and then 30. Once you can do 30, 40 is in your sights etc. You'll soon build up to touring distance. And the extra weight isn't a huge deal - this summer I rode over to the coast and back over a long weekend, and my average speed wasn't that much slower on the loaded (camping) trips than it was on the day in the middle when I rode a hilly sportive unladen. What you lose uphill, you gain down.

An average touring speed could be about 10mph (you're doing that ok), that's only six hours of cycling to do 60 miles. 90 mins to morning coffee, then 90 to lunch, then 90 to afternoon tea, and 90 to end of day. Simples!

Keep it up, you'll be there in no time.:hugs:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Rollon said:
I guess Ive always been impatient with progression. My way off getting back from a bad injury after a substantial lay off, was to go for a 20 mile run, and was never any good at easing into things.
I know exactly what you mean. I've got a running history too, after continuous knee problems I got custom insoles, and then expected to get straight back to the distance/speed I was used to - well not really, but ... ;)
But as Arch says, a wee bit further each time is not that difficult. The other thing is that the more often you go out on the bike, e.g. commuting/shopping/visiting friends, the more natural it'll feel and the easier the distance will come. Also, I find that if I only go out and do 50k+ rides once every month or 6 weeks, the next one does't feel any easier, but if I do one every week or every 2nd week, the body remembers much better - same as with running really.

Rollon said:
I know the tyres on my do stick to the road a bit and slow you down, but I will have to stick with them as like today I finished off with a few miles along the canal towpath.
You'll just have to do a few tours, and see how you get on with the bike. If you are anything like many people on this forum, you'll soon start to think "n+1" is the ideal number of bikes (with n being the current number you have). I've just got the one, a hybrid, due to lack of storage space, which is the best compromise for the cycling I do, i.e. mixing roads and rough tracks, it gives me the freedom to go most places, while not having to worry about skinny tyres, and I can use it as a pack-horse for touring/shopping.

So what tour(s) are you thinking of doing next?
;)

T

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Rollon said:
Reading topics about first 50 and 100 miles leaves me gobsmacked. I did my first ride over 20 miles today on my Spec Tricross with a reasonably heavy rack bag come panniers. It was only my third ride since getting knocked off five weeks ago. Over a very undulating route and wishing at times I had an extra gear (I have 27) I managed 33 miles in 3 hours cycling. 3.5 hours altogether. I was slightly proud that I managed all the hills without getting off and pushing.
My cycling ambitions are towards touring rather than racing, I am a 63 year old novice, still fit from over 50 years of Fell running etc, but cycling is different and I foresee difficulties in trying to manage 60 or more miles a day, day in day out with a full touring rack.
Trying hard and hoping to become better.
Dave.

Hello Dave Im doing it the other way round.Up to doing 60 mile bike rides(not day after day yet though) but just started trying to run again after a 20 plus year lay off. Despite only doing gentle jogging around a 1.2 mile flat route at the moment that hurts the legs more than 60 miles on a bike.Seems to be different muscles used .At least its the same heart and lungs for either :-)

Good Luck

ACS

Legendary Member
Welcome

Another Tricross owner, returned to the sport after a 15 year absence. Got going in April and hope to have knocked off my first 100 by the time the clocks change. A fit young laddie like yourself will be knocking down the targets milages in no time.

Welcome and safe cycling

WelshYiddo

Well done Rollon!

I did my first 20+ miler today after a 12 month break (a bad back and general laziness getting the better of me).

24 miles, climbing 1500 feet mostly on road/cycle track with a bit of mtb thrown in too. It hurt and I'm good for nothing now!

OP
OP
R

Rollon

What superb replies, glad I'm not going through 'adaptions' on my own. Thanks everyone, I feel like jumping on my bike straight away, it will have to be the van though, got to go and do a quote!
Dave.

Welcome Rollon. You're certainly not alone. Just keep enjoying yourself and riding and the distance will come. You're obviously coming at this from a good level of fitness so it's just a case of training up some different muscles .. not least the main one that's in contact with the bike! :wacko:

As to the replies, I think you'll find that most people on here are genuinely pleased to hear that somebody else has discovered cycling and is enjoying it. And so will offer encouragement.

croyde

Hello all.

I stumbled across this site in order to find out if the LBS was ripping me off over a new cassette and chain.

I did my first cycle ride of more than 15 miles ever last Fri, West London to Brighton via a route posted on the Net that avoided busy roads. 58 miles in total and when I got there, I thought "Never Again!!" but by Monday I was raring to try again, hence getting the bike serviced.

So to the original poster I say, keep at it as it can only get easier.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Just interested
i) You take luggage for such rides? ( dont mind me :evil:)
ii) You assume even with a 9sp triple you have 27 gears. ( you have about 17 to 19 usable ones otherwise chain angle becomes an issue)

Top Bottom