First ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

g0kmt

Today I went on my first ride with my new bike :angry: Its only the second time I have ridden in 31 years at least!

It was exhilerting to say the least. I only did 15 minutes and less than a mile due to several snags but they havent put me off, in fact, I would say the oposite.

Snag 1 was the chain slipping. My bike has SRAM X5 gears, they probably need setting up properly - I took the bike home in a box adn put it together myself, The gear set was as it left the factoru so it probably only has a nominal set up.

Snag 2 was changing gear rings on the front was next to impossible with lots of slipping (see issue 1)

Snag 3 My pump fell off! It has a velcro strap and I hadnt done that up properly - Numpty me

Snag 4 My bike computer didnt work - I know the sensor works off the bike as I can get it to think that its moving by moving the magnet past the sensor transmitter. No biggie - may need to reposition the receiver and the sensor .

Other than that I had a successful first ride and my legs felt like jelly :wacko:

Not bad for a 154kg 5'10 person :smile: Happy aint the word heheh I look forward to the next ride out when I have fixed the snags :smile:

Norm

Excellent! :angry:

The gears will need some setting up. There's YouTube videos and someone here will have some sites bookmarked which will help.

I'm an inch taller and a few kg's lighter, but I managed to get up to 60 miles within 3 months. Go get 'em. :wacko: :smile:

Garz

Squat Member
Good luck with the snags mate, once they are out the way you can get some mileage done!

Well done. I can't help with the gears advice, I really don't get gears at all. :angry:
I read your blog & it sounds great that you are taking up cycling. I agree with the others, the distance & time will come as you progress.
I took up cycling 4 weeks ago & really enjoying it. :wacko:

ryanwylie

Good stuff,

took cycling up a week ago. Done an 11 mile stint last week, 18 on friday and 18 on saturday, going good so far except for a sore arse!

Dilbert

Somebody on here a while ago recommended these sites for Gears and I found them useful. My front wouldn't go onto the top ring when I was sat on the bike.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

You should still be entitled to your inital check up so if you can't get it sorted take it in to the Halfords at Blackpool (Squires Gate). I have chatted to a couple of the staff there and they seem to be OK, although time will tell as my C2W scheme bike should arrive there this week.:smile:

Keep up the good work

OP
OP
g0kmt

g0kmt

Thanks for the kind words :smile:

I plan on sorting the gears over the next couple of days. Failing that I will take the bike back to Halfords :smile:

You at BAE Warton Dilbert?

Weegie

Nice one Ian!

I'm in pretty much the same boat, 131kg when I started cycling again after a 20+ year break. I bought a Carrera Subway 2, built & adjusted it myself. Since starting cycling 2 months ago, I've lost 4kg, cycling about 20-25 miles/week. You'll be surprised how quickly you can build up the miles, I was. My first outing was about 1.2 miles on the flat, took 20 minutes and I thought I was dying! Only a few weeks later, I cycle most days to my local Tesco (6 mile round trip with a decent hill on the return trip) for a bit of shopping, and at the weekend I'm happily doing 10-15 miles in a couple of hours without killing myself.

But more important than all this, I'm feeling healthier than I have in a long time. I don't groan as much bending down, and I can keep up with my 4 year old daughter a lot better!

I see from your blog you're an engineer, so you should have no problem at all setting up your gears. I found these two videos very useful...

http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-front-derailer/
http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-rear-derailleur/

In fact, take a look through the whole site, it's very useful indeed. The late great Sheldon Brown's website is also an invaluable source for beginners like us.

Also, once you get your bike computer working properly, start logging your trips so you can see your progress. I find that a great motivator. Personally, I'm using SportTracks (www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/) after trying a few online services like mapmyride.com. I just prefer to have that data locally on my own computer.

Keep it up mate!

g0kmt said:
Today I went on my first ride with my new bike :smile: Its only the second time I have ridden in 31 years at least!

It was exhilerting to say the least. I only did 15 minutes and less than a mile due to several snags but they havent put me off, in fact, I would say the oposite.

Snag 1 was the chain slipping. My bike has SRAM X5 gears, they probably need setting up properly - I took the bike home in a box adn put it together myself, The gear set was as it left the factoru so it probably only has a nominal set up.

Snag 2 was changing gear rings on the front was next to impossible with lots of slipping (see issue 1)

Snag 3 My pump fell off! It has a velcro strap and I hadnt done that up properly - Numpty me

Snag 4 My bike computer didnt work - I know the sensor works off the bike as I can get it to think that its moving by moving the magnet past the sensor transmitter. No biggie - may need to reposition the receiver and the sensor .

Other than that I had a successful first ride and my legs felt like jelly :smile:

Not bad for a 154kg 5'10 person :wacko: Happy aint the word heheh I look forward to the next ride out when I have fixed the snags :smile:

rh100

brilliant - keep it up

my first trip was about a mile - and it hurt - but it will increase over the weeks - it still hurts to do the higher mileage but you will find you do the 1 miler, 3 miler etc without stopping - which is where you know your fitness is increasing.

Best of luck

OP
OP
g0kmt

g0kmt

Pain - I will grin and bear it hehe

Dilbert I am in 376A, the doorway near the Lytham gate is getting crowded with bikes :smile:

I think I need to put some lubricant on the chain as its only got a little protective grease on it.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
g0kmt said:
Today I went on my first ride with my new bike :smile: Its only the second time I have ridden in 31 years at least!

:smile:

I was in pretty much the same position as you at the beginning of June, except it was only 29 years.

During my first 5 mile trip to work, I thought I would die. While resting in the middle of a traffic island, a kind guy in a white van stopped and said "Are you OK, mate?" What a saint.

Anyway, on rare sunny days, I did the commutes more, and bought a computer. The round trip was only 9.7 miles, but I could see some feeble progress. At weekends I sometimes went for 12 mile trips by the river or canal. Then I did a twenty mile charity ride at the beginning of September. My teenage daughter was well out ahead of me.

The next week I took a long planned trip to Holland. 58 miles to Amsterdam from The Hook of Holland to meet up with Dutch friends that I had not seen for decades. That gave me a target, and a reward at the end of the trip that was more than just the challenge of putting in the miles.

I guess my pitiful advice is to stick at it, but more importantly, make sure that the trips are fun, not just effort.

Top Bottom