First road bike help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamman

Hi all,
recently got into cycling and finding it very addictive and fun.
I'm getting this road bike under my dad's bike to work scheme soon (which is allowed).
new road bike

Just wandering what tips more experienced road cyclists have and what essentials I should get?
I'll be mainly riding during the day for fitness / fun for a couple of hours a few times a week.

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Nice looking bike there :thumbsup:

I suppose some essentials that you should consider taking on a ride are a phone, pump, spare tube, tyre levers in a small wedge saddle bag (or stuffed in your pockets!)

Then there are the pedals, do you go for clipless with dedicated shoes, or toe clips and wear trainers, or just plain old trainers & ordinary pedals?

Gloves are a good idea, for grip and also to save the gravel rash if you take a tumble :wacko:, which brings up the suject of helmets! Get a well fitting helmet, which also looks good. No need being put off wearing one 'cos you think you'll look daft :biggrin:

Then there's shorts, jerseys, socks, computer, bottles and cages blah blah blah blah.......see what you've started :laugh:

In the end, like all of us, it all comes down to how much spare cash we've got to spend on our addiction hobby :whistle:

Just get out and enjoy your new bike, tell us all how you get on, and CC is an excellent place for advice and tips

Chris S

Legendary Member
And keep a look out for cars turning left - according to an earlier thread they're the major cause of serious injuries to cyclists.

While we're on the subject never go down the inside of high-sided vehicles.

OP
OP
J

jamman

thanks poweredbyveg,

planning on getting those essentials when i go to pick up my bike.
I'll just use normal trainers with the pedals i get with my bike for now and see how it goes.
Been using my weight lifting gloves for cycling for both comfort and in case I fall off.

I think I'm going to get this nice road helmet in white, as the met mtb helmet I've got looks a bit silly on the road.
road helmet

Thanks.

haha biggs, only 18 and no girlfriend yet, but she better be able to put up with my addiction or even better cycle too ;)

Good tips chris, getting a highway code book and cyclecraft so I'll be giving them a good read. Also been watching some of gaz545's videos so I've been getting useful tips on what not to do on my bike and what to look out for

Globalti

Legendary Member
Nice bike but if I was you my first upgrade would be lighter wheels followed by a carbon fork as I find ali frames and forks a bit punishing over longer distances, which you will soon be riding.

OP
OP
J

jamman

Nice bike but if I was you my first upgrade would be lighter wheels followed by a carbon fork as I find ali frames and forks a bit punishing over longer distances, which you will soon be riding.

The change from MTB to my first proper road bike will probably feel great to me for at least a while :tongue:
Maybe once I'm riding some good miles and at a good fitness level, I'll go for an upgrade.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Great. I changed from MTB to road three years ago and wish I had done it years earlier. I'm miles fitter and would have done so much better in the MTB races and events I undertook.

OP
OP
J

jamman

Great. I changed from MTB to road three years ago and wish I had done it years earlier. I'm miles fitter and would have done so much better in the MTB races and events I undertook.

Good to hear,
even better news, the purchase order for my new bike has arrived today, so I called up the shop and they are going to put the bike together this weekend for me to pick up, so I'm very giddy and excited right now :biggrin:

haha biggs, only 18 and no girlfriend yet, but she better be able to put up with my addiction or even better cycle too ;)

Keep using the bike and you'll end up with a physique (ok, arse) that women will be throwing themselves at you for. Or in my case Mrs PM :wub: oggles. Bonus is this works for girls too.

supercooper

I think that the most essential bit of kit is a good lock.. :thumbsup: Its no good spending pounds on all your gear only to find some skallywag has nicked it to sell for a tenner for drug money so get a good lock and :welcome: to CC

OP
OP
J

jamman

I think that the most essential bit of kit is a good lock.. :thumbsup: Its no good spending pounds on all your gear only to find some skallywag has nicked it to sell for a tenner for drug money so get a good lock and :welcome: to CC

Just doing circuit routes from my house and back for fitness right now,
but once I'm fit enough to start using my bike for commuting, I'll definitely make sure I have a good bike lock :smile:

OP
OP
J

jamman

soooo excited, going to pick up my new bike and kit in 15 mins :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'll post an update giving a little review of my bike and my progress a little later
thanks for all the tips and encouragement

Top Bottom