First road bike - what to go for? (£500-£600 budget)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I'm new here, have been cycling for 3 years on a hybrid Ridgeback Speed, but am thinking of getting a road bike. I'm thinking of spending £500-£600 & ideally would like a road bike that can be fitted with mudguards & a rack.

I've been looking at these 3 which are within budget:

Specialized Allez 16 2010 roadbike
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-16-2010-road-bike-ec019545

Trek 1.1 2010 road bike
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/11-compact-2010-road-bike-ec020773

Pinnacle Sentinal 1.0 road bike (2009/2010)
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/sentinal-10-2009-road-bike-ec018113

I've heard good things about the Allez but apparently the Pinnacle is mudguard/rack compatible. Only the 2010 model doesn't seem to be available on Evans anymore when I search.

Please has anyone any advice for someone looking to buy their first road bike?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I think the Trek has fittings for mudguards/rack but if you like a bike without you can fit crud roadracer guards to any bike and they work well(i have fitted them to my Scott Speedster).you can also get a rack that clamps to the seatpost but it wont carry as much weight as a conventional rack..

if Evans dont have what you want try Tredz .They are good on price and service ,

Make sure you get the right size road bike.They are sized differently to hybrids.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I think the Trek has fittings for mudguards/rack but if you like a bike without you can fit crud roadracer guards to any bike and they work well(i have fitted them to my Scott Speedster).you can also get a rack that clamps to the seatpost but it wont carry as much weight as a conventional rack..

if Evans dont have what you want try Tredz .They are good on price and service ,

Make sure you get the right size road bike.They are sized differently to hybrids.

Willo

As a fairly new convert to a road bike myself, I'm no expert but would strongly recommend having a sit on a few and getting a test ride before you purchase if at all possible. I'm sure they're all good bikes, but what suits 1 person is not necessarily the best for someone else. I was settled on a Trek 1.2, but it just didn't feel comfy for me, whereas the Specialized felt a perfect fit straight away so I ended up with an Allez 24 and am more than happy with it (and like the look of it which inspires me to get it out and do some exercise - the silver Allez looks much better in the flesh than in the pics). To add to the mix in your price range, the Giant Defy series seem to get good reviews and are relatively well spec'd..

http://www.ashcycles.com/power/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1262

Willo

As a fairly new convert to a road bike myself, I'm no expert but would strongly recommend having a sit on a few and getting a test ride before you purchase if at all possible. I'm sure they're all good bikes, but what suits 1 person is not necessarily the best for someone else. I was settled on a Trek 1.2, but it just didn't feel comfy for me, whereas the Specialized felt a perfect fit straight away so I ended up with an Allez 24 and am more than happy with it (and like the look of it which inspires me to get it out and do some exercise - the silver Allez looks much better in the flesh than in the pics). To add to the mix in your price range, the Giant Defy series seem to get good reviews and are relatively well spec'd..

http://www.ashcycles.com/power/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1262

paddy01

I've not ridden the latest versions but my 2008 Trek 1.2 Triple is still going strong in it's 3rd year and several thousand miles in.

I've upgraded a couple of bits over time (wheels / saddle / pedals) but the mainly Sora groupset still works absolutely fine and once I've changed the saddle it's all day comfortable for me.

I would strongly suggest taking the time to get to a local shop and try various brands before you go buying though. I tried a Cannondale of similar price / spec to the Trek when I bought it and I found the ride comfort hideous for me, whereas the Trek was spot on.

paddy01

I've not ridden the latest versions but my 2008 Trek 1.2 Triple is still going strong in it's 3rd year and several thousand miles in.

I've upgraded a couple of bits over time (wheels / saddle / pedals) but the mainly Sora groupset still works absolutely fine and once I've changed the saddle it's all day comfortable for me.

I would strongly suggest taking the time to get to a local shop and try various brands before you go buying though. I tried a Cannondale of similar price / spec to the Trek when I bought it and I found the ride comfort hideous for me, whereas the Trek was spot on.

paddy01

RabbitFood

Best way as has been suggested is to go along to a shop and try them all out.

I was looking at pretty much the same bikes last year and went for the Allez, I think at the time the frame was slightly better then the rest but in all truth and from my very little know how there is very little between them as they are all entry level bikes.

For what you are looking for any off them will be fine, but be carefull you will want a new much more exspensive one in months belive me!!!

Rabbit

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Went for the Allez myself. Mainly due to corporate ethics being better than the GIANT. Didn't get on with the bloke trying to sell me a Trek, who also wanted me to spend more than my budget.

Decided that since all bikes tried were such a step up from my previous steed, didn't really matter what I got - they all felt good and very different.

And seduced by the idea of carbon forks. Actually, claim to be better, as although Carbon fibre is stiffer than steel, carbon forks absorb more bumps. Don't know exactly how, but is due to geometry, apparently.

andyfromotley

They are all nice bikes and pretty simialr spec. As said on here, try them all out and one will 'speak' to you. Choose a bike shop that spends plenty of time sizing you and the bike. It really is the single most important thing.

I started off 6 years ago with a spesh allez. It has provided faultless service and i cant recomend them highly enough.

andy

BuzzyJace

You've got so many opportunities!

Have you thought about a Boardman comp, good value, lots of positive reviews out there. The Giant Defy range seem pretty nice too.

I think it's also important to buy a bike you like the look of. My last purchase, while perfectly functional, is a stunning bike to look at. It was the lines and colour that got me to part with the cash in the end. Let your heart guide you to the right bike. :evil:

Top Bottom