first service - not very good news.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i took the bike for it 1st service today and received not very good news.

the problem that i posted about before where the rear tyre wouldn't pump up greater than 110psi due to rubbing on the frame behind the frame. when i contacted wiggle about this they said it was either the tyre not seated properly or the rim was slightly out of alignment.

however the local bike shop has had a look and stated the wheel and tyre are fine but the problem is the frame it just doesn't have the clearance to allow the tyre to be pumped up that far, and stated to contact the seller which in this case is wiggle and get them to supply a bike that there is sufficient clearance for the rear wheel to be pumped up greater than 110psi and this could cause more problems in the long run.

so it looks like verenti have created a bike that when you get the smallest size doesn't have the clearance required, sounds like a great manufacturing defect to me.

i have emailed wiggle to see what they say.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why on earth do you want to pump your tyres up to over 110? That's already hard enough for the majority of cyclists.

It's nothing new; I had a steel bike built in 1990 and the frame was so short that with a Roubaix tyre, which is deeper for more comfort, you couldn't even get the back wheel out of the frame without deflating the tyre. Even with a standard tyre it was a struggle.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
What tyre are you using?
Tyres have different depths from the rim when you pump them up, if you choose one which is quite deep (which is often one which has puncture protection) then you will have trouble on a few frames.

There isn't really a need to pump the tyres above 110psi unless you are racing

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
They aren't that deep a tyre. Surprised they come with such a good tyre though, most companies put a basic tyre on.

OP
OP
terry_gardener

terry_gardener

Veteran
local bike shop stated that it could cause further problems down the line, for example if the rim gets slighter knocked out of alignment then it will rub even at the current psi, another problem he stated is if a stone gets stuck in the tyre/wheel and then hits the frame it could seriously damage the frame.

should i be concerned?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
from the spec sheet on verenti website

Wheelset Mavic Askium Black M10 ETRTO 622x13 Tyres Vittoria Diamante ProTech All Black ETRTO 622x23

Just in case you weren't supplied what the manufacturer's spec says, have you checked the labels on the tyre walls to confirm you have what you said?

If the answer is yes, and especially if you have something like a Rhigos 03 with carbon frame and forks, I would agree with your mechanic's comment - you definitely do not want a standard tyre rubbing on the frame/fork - I have seen chunks of alloy frame rubbed off by tyres, that happening on carbon would be disastrous.

If for whatever reason you want to continue running it, you could try 20mm tyres. But frankly I would hate to have a frame that can't take a 23mm tyre at 110psi.

You might also want to tell Wiggle that those tyres have a design pressure of 115-145 psi!

Norm

Does a tyre at 110psi get larger than one at 90psi?

Mine don't seem to change in size once I've got much past about 40psi. The only thing that changes is the flat spot which appears at the bottom when I throw my leg over. :biggrin:

OP
OP
terry_gardener

terry_gardener

Veteran
Just in case you weren't supplied what the manufacturer's spec says, have you checked the labels on the tyre walls to confirm you have what you said?

If the answer is yes, and especially if you have something like a Rhigos 03 with carbon frame and forks, I would agree with your mechanic's comment - you definitely do not want a standard tyre rubbing on the frame/fork - I have seen chunks of alloy frame rubbed off by tyres, that happening on carbon would be disastrous.

If for whatever reason you want to continue running it, you could try 20mm tyres. But frankly I would hate to have a frame that can't take a 23mm tyre at 110psi.

You might also want to tell Wiggle that those tyres have a design pressure of 115-145 psi!

yes they are the same tyre as stated but on the tyre wall it states a pressure range of 100 - 145 psi.

and yes it is the rhigos 03 with carbon frame and forks

rualexander

Legendary Member
Does a tyre at 110psi get larger than one at 90psi?

Mine don't seem to change in size once I've got much past about 40psi. The only thing that changes is the flat spot which appears at the bottom when I throw my leg over. :biggrin:

I'd agree with this.
Tyres are not balloons and are constrained by the carcass, once they have enough air in them to form their shape they won't expand significantly surely, otherwise you'd never get the pressure up.

Mad at urage

What's a service?
Merriam-Webster defines it thusly:

Definition of SERVICE
1 a : the occupation or function of serving <in active service> b : employment as a servant <entered his service>
2 a : the work performed by one that serves <good service> b : help, use, benefit <glad to be of service> c : contribution to the welfare of others d : disposal for use <I'm entirely at your service>
3 a : a form followed in worship or in a religious ceremony <the burial service> b : a meeting for worship —often used in plural <held evening services>
4 : the act of serving: as a : a helpful act <did him a service> b : useful labor that does not produce a tangible commodity —usually used in plural <charge for professional services> c : serve
5 : a set of articles for a particular use <a silver tea service>
6 a : an administrative division (as of a government or business) <the consular service> b : one of a nation's military forces (as the army or navy)
7 a : a facility supplying some public demand <telephone service> <bus service> b : a facility providing maintenance and repair <television service>
8 : the materials (as spun yarn, small lines, or canvas) used for serving a rope
9 : the act of bringing a legal writ, process, or summons to notice as prescribed by law
10 : the act of a male animal copulating with a female animal
11 : a branch of a hospital medical staff devoted to a particular specialty <obstetrical service>
Origin of SERVICE
Middle English, from Anglo-French servise, from Latin servitium condition of a slave, body of slaves, from servus slaveFirst Known Use: 13th century

Edit: Formatting. Hope that helps :hello:

OP
OP
terry_gardener

terry_gardener

Veteran
i have just noticed something very interesting.

on the wiggle website verenti have recently released a rhigos 4 with the same frame but different wheelset and tyres, after checking the tyres on it they have max 120psi and recommended 110psi.

makes me think that verenti knows about this problem and has chosen different wheels/tyre to compensate for the lack of clearance.

after thinking about it might not send it back to wiggle and keep it as i am not going to need more than 110psi anyway, as gaz said you only need higher for racing which i am not going to be doing, however wiggle have yet to respond to my email.

i am a bit concerned about what the LBS said that could happen with the little amount of clearance, but there is lots of what if in life and if you listen to all of it you wouldn't do anything.

also i have bike insurance which includes accidental damage should this happen in the future.

i would like to say this is such a great forum and the members are brilliant and very patient and helpful to us newbies, thank you for your advice again.

Top Bottom