First singlespeed conversion help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Hi

I am intending on converting this https://www.cyclechat.net/

into an singlespeed after discovering the shifter pods are rubber ducked.

It has horizontal dropouts.

Need ideas on budget crankset and rear cog/spacers. Gonna fit new canti brakes and levers.

It's a Shimano square taper BB, may buy a crankset with BB if required.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Is that chainset rivetted up, or can you just remove the two small rings? I bought an FSA Vero chainset from Taiwan; it cost me about £33 delivered, off ebay.

You can buy the Stronglight super-economy chainsets for about £20 from Velo Solo but they look a bit flimsy to me! There are a fair few cheap single-speed chainsets on ebay if you do a search...

I bought a dirt cheap RPM BB from CRC; I initially thought it was complete rubbish but it's settled down, and is now smooth & quiet! It's done 570 miles so far.

Good luck with the project! Donor bike looks perfect for the job.

OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Chainset is rivetted

I'll keep an eye out for stuff on ebay.

I've listed most of the old parts that I removed. They may be worth something to someone. It'll hopefully give me some cash to put towards new stuff.

It seems a popular ratio is 42 16 for the chainset. Don't want to do over 20mph, 10-15mph average.

The intended use for the bike is a neighbourhood hoodie cruiser.

Ibbots

You should be able to do it quite cheaply if you want, especially if you shop around ebay.

On-One and Charlie the Bike Monger are quite good for cogs and spacers and other single speed kit, and Charlie has a couple of useful how-to videos and advice on his site. It is worth spending a little more on the cog to get a longer life as they get quite a bit of wear.

I have a mtb based single speed that I use for winter commuting with 44:17 ratio (slightly easier than 42:16) which is about perfect for my hilly commute, average speed around 17mph and can push along at conmfortable cadence anywhere between about 15 and 21 mph. Much slower and I'm out of the saddle.

Good luck with the project

OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Yep.

Gone with a 44T Sturmey Archer crankset (it has replaceable rings so leaves my options open) with a 17T sprocket. Had to buy a new 113mm sealed cartridge BB as mine was too short.

Crankset, new chain, sprocket kit, bottom bracket and removal socket £50

OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Now all stripped, cleaned and ready for the rebuild

Attachments

• P1010851.JPG
    P1010851.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
The Sturmey Archer crankset recommends a 113mm BB. The one that came off was 118mm running a 170mm triple crank. The Sturmey is a 170mm crank with a dished chainring and guard.

The stays are doglegged so hoping there won't be a problem. Will find out tomorrow when they arrive.

This is all new to me so there's gonna be a bit of trial and error I suppose.

This is the crankset. http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWNX:blush:T

Attachments

• mtb.JPG
    mtb.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 36

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i normally commute on an old peugoet racer with 48 - 18 ratio , need to change back end to a 16 . cant say i miss gears at all on daily commute quite often jump on a geared bike and ride all the way to work without changing gears , total budget on this build all in so far £80

OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
New crank and BB seem fine, plenty of chainstay clearance.

Chainline measures 47mm, which is about right I think

Attachments

• CRANK.JPG
    CRANK.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 48
Top Bottom