First Snow of the Year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
As I look out of the office window (admittedly 2,400 ft above sea level) I can see the first bits of snow shyly peeping out from amongst the grass. There was also the first snow related motorway pile up of the year yesterday on the coastal Autobahn. The snow had hit the road surface, partially melted and refrozen producing an ice rink. Twenty cars piled into each other.

And it's only October ...

Andy in Sig said:
As I look out of the office window, admittedly 2,400 ft above sea level. And it's only October ...

Bloody 'ell, that's an office block and a half!

No snow in Oslo, but it's not far north of here. -5 last night! :birthday:

I'm waiting for it to hit + temps so I can go out for a 70 km loop: don't like the idea of icy leaves lurking on shadowy bends for me.

Andy

Back in the 70s I was in the Army in BAOR Germany for about five years. In those days German drivers often had a second set of wheels for their cars for use in the Winter, either studded or Town & Country with a set of chains. Is this still the habit?

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Yep, there are winter tyres and summer tyres. It's almost certain that everybody in the pile up still (reasonably enough) had summer tyres on. Because I work in a place which is 200 m higher than where I live, I keep winter tyres on all the year round just so as not to get caught out. I think the use of chains and studs is illegal on tarmac so you tend to get them used in the hillier parts of e.g. Bavaria in winters when the snow is so deep that the road surfaces consist of impacted snow: essentially it is arctic driving.

snorri

Legendary Member
Dayvo said:
No snow in Oslo, but it's not far north of here. -5 last night! :bravo:
A Norwegian I was ferrying today was showing me pics on his camera phone of snow covered roads he had taken before leaving home yesterday.
We had snow on the hills here last week, but it has all gone now.;)

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Kirstie said:
Andy I think I can remember you posting this exact same thread last year! ;)

Oh dear!

Actually that could be a bit of an omen because we went on to have a long, serious winter. The good thing about that though was that spring was so delayed that what should have happened over about six weeks was all crammed into one fortnight.

dudi

absolutely no snow, but i was shocked to see the temperature drop to about 4 degrees last night...
Made me get my longs out of the cupboard for the first time since summer... Just about to set out today and it's 5 degrees... brrrrr, another coffee - then i'll go.
the weather seems to have turned quite quickly here.. only a few weeks ago I was sipping tea on the patio. strange.

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
The thermometer here hit 30 degs on one day of last week and this morning it was definitely minus something as I got to work. The village where my place of work is is called Stetten am kalten Markt which you could render into English as Stetten Coldmarket. It got its name because on a July market day about 300 years ago, a goat (not normally the soppiest of animals) died of exposure while waiting to be sold at the market. Come to think of it it could have been the first time that deep frozen goat went on sale in recorded history.

Top Bottom