First time 100miler - which ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I'm doing the (hilly) Cambrian Challenge ride (55miles) later this month. It will be the first time I've done over 50 miles.

Looking to the future, I'd like to do a 100 mile road event. Can anyone recommend a suitable 100 mile event in the next 6 months or so - preferably in the area of Shropshire/Mid-Wales, North Wales/Cheshire Lancashire/Derbyshire/Greater Manchester. Next year, I'd like to do an event called 'The Cheshire Cat', but it would be good to do something before then if possible.

I'd also very very grateful to hear of any distance events which take place on a Saturday; my Missus plays football most Sundays for a local team and it is difficult for me to get time off on a Sunday during the footie season.

I'm not sure if I should be looking to do an Audax or a Sportive. I have to confess that I don't know what an 'Audax' actually is, or a 'Sportive' for that matter (what is the difference?); which is most suitable for a beginner ?

Thank you for any recommendations

Noodley

www.audax.uk.net

all you need to know about audax.

And click on the J F M A M J J A S O N D on the left side of the Calendar page to see ahead for next year's events as unless you are a member you can only search 4 months ahead...unless you click on specific events.

trio25

Über Member
My first 100 mile ride was the cheshire cat this year. It isn't a hilly ride, apart from mow cop so it is a good one to start with.

RedBike

I have to confess that I don't know what an 'Audax' actually is, or a 'Sportive' for that matter (what is the difference?); which is most suitable for a beginner ?

A sportive has dedicated food stations and there's signs / marshalls all the way around the route pointing the direction.

With an Audax you're just given a map / set of directions. The food stops are cafes / shops on route.

A sportive is probably best best for a beginner. Even though the route is sign posted take a map so you can get back on route if you happen to miss a sign. (I've yet to do one of these rides where I haven't gone wrong somewhere.)

The cheshire cat is for the most part about as flat as you can get; but Mow-cop (about a mile long) is a nasty sting in the tail. You get a medal if you can ride up it!

Top Bottom