First time out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jason swan

Regular
Went out for my first ride today , I was on a mountain bike on the road an done 7 mile in 35 mins 49secs . Holy c**p guys I ran 25 to 30 miles a week for the last 12 years or so and thought cyclists had it easy , how wrong was I , my thighs were burning , my backside was killing me and I hadn't a clue what gear I was men't to be in but I enjoyed it an I'll be back out tomorrow

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Nice one .As you discovered cycling uses your muscles differently to running.At least your heart and lungs will allready be strong.

If your thighs are really burning its possible your bike isnt set up right. Seat height is the most common thing to be wrong.
Sat on the saddle your leg should be almost completely straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

If your seat is too high you will be rocking your hips to reach if too low your leg will be too bent at the bottom of the stroke causing huge pain in the thighs very quickly.

Good Luck

OP
OP
jason swan

jason swan

Regular
Nice one .As you discovered cycling uses your muscles differently to running.At least your heart and lungs will allready be strong.

If your thighs are really burning its possible your bike isnt set up right. Seat height is the most common thing to be wrong.
Sat on the saddle your leg should be almost completely straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

If your seat is too high you will be rocking your hips to reach if too low your leg will be too bent at the bottom of the stroke causing huge pain in the thighs very quickly.

Good Luck

Thanks for that banjo yes my legs were very bent at the bottom pd the pedal stroke will sort that out now

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Thanks for that banjo yes my legs were very bent at the bottom pd the pedal stroke will sort that out now

Itll make an enormous difference

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Itll make an enormous difference

unless its very cold out , thats what the pad in shorts is for really or it will be a small difference ^_^

If your just riding on the road / cycle paths and your using standard MTB tyres they can slow you down , you might be better fitting some semi slicks as they will roll quicker .
Something like..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_i=B000NNQFXU

I used to run that type of tyre ( i used 26 x 1.5 which is a bit thinner ) and i found them a great tyre for the money , make sure you pump your tyres up to the recommended pressure as well because an under inflated tyre can slow you down as well.A pump with a gauge on is helpful and when you do more trips it might be worth investing in a track pump to keep at home as they make pumping tyres up a lot quicker .

Top Bottom