First wet commute - Yuk!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Guru
Well, I'd promised myself I would try to cycle for the remaining 4 days of this week and there was only a slight drizzle when I got up. By the time I got to work I felt like I had puddles in my shoes! Apart from that it wasn't too bad really. Wore shorts rather than waterproof trousers as I figure I'd dry quicker and they and my jacket seem to be dry now ready for the ride home. The socks and shoes definitely won't be so I've just been out to buy some new socks.

Dare I say I think I need some m**guards...

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Well done for keeping your resolve!
M*dg**rds are very useful and wearing less kit helps if only having less to dry at home or at work.
There are various noeprene socks and overshoes available to save you getting wrinkly toes too!

Keith Oates

Janner
Well done Helen, it's all part of the commuting scene and gets a little better as time goes on. I always keep some clean socks and underwear in the office to change into on such days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Guru
tdr1nka said:
There are various noeprene socks and overshoes available to save you getting wrinkly toes too!

I'm wearing walking shoes at the moment. Would overshoes fit these? I do have some Aldi cycling shoes but I'm not sure I'm quite ready to go clipless yet.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Well done!!
Its when the water goes through the neoprene over shoes that you worry;) Horrible feeling, but really good fun going through the puddles :rolleyes:

Joe24

The over shoes wouldnt fit the walking shoes. You can get some proper socks for the walking shoes, and maybe Gators would stop some of the water going down your legs, but only if the shoe is sort of water proof.
If your up for going clipless, then go for it. Its not as hard as you first think, and after some practice in a door frame watching TV you can get really used to it before you go out on the streets.

Maz

Guru
Keep spare underwear and socks at work, just in case. A towel, too.

Just build up speed, aim for a puddle lift you legs up and shout Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!:rolleyes:

Disclaimer: Cycling through large puddles can be dangerous. There be potholes there!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
HelenD123 said:
I have some very thin normal-style Altura shorts and these dry very fast. I'm not keen on walking into the office in lycra.

Is there a toilet or other facility you can use to get changed in before going into the office?

You could carry a light pair of jogging bottoms or some such to put on when you get there.

Robster

Well done Helen. When I started cycling to work, I bought a waterproof jacket and trousers, but I just got too hot and quickly abandoned them in favour of wearing clothes that dry quickly and changing at work.

I've got some thin cotton trousers which even if they get soaked through I can hang up and will be dry by the time I leave to go home. I can't imagine myself ever wearing lycra!

Joe24

Robster said:
I can't imagine myself ever wearing lycra!

I once thought the same thing. No i thought, not whilst i am in school still, i will look stupid.
I am now in lycra and have been for a while:laugh:

domtyler

Über Member
I had my wife wearing my lycra shorts at the weekend, she was a bit self conscious at first but soon got used to it.

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Guru
I think I need to tone my legs up a bit before contemplating lycra!

I agree with Uncle Mort. I'd much rather have rain than wind. Gusty side winds scare me.

Top Bottom