1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First wet commute - Yuk!

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by HelenD123, 3 Jun 2008.

1. HelenD123

HelenD123 Veteran

Well, I'd promised myself I would try to cycle for the remaining 4 days of this week and there was only a slight drizzle when I got up. By the time I got to work I felt like I had puddles in my shoes! Apart from that it wasn't too bad really. Wore shorts rather than waterproof trousers as I figure I'd dry quicker and they and my jacket seem to be dry now ready for the ride home. The socks and shoes definitely won't be so I've just been out to buy some new socks.

Dare I say I think I need some m**guards...

2. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

Well done for keeping your resolve!
    M*dg**rds are very useful and wearing less kit helps if only having less to dry at home or at work.
    There are various noeprene socks and overshoes available to save you getting wrinkly toes too!

3. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Well done Helen, it's all part of the commuting scene and gets a little better as time goes on. I always keep some clean socks and underwear in the office to change into on such days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

As tdr1nka says, buy:

-mudguards
    -overshoes
    -lycra shorts (they dry very fast)

5. OP
    OP
    HelenD123

HelenD123 Veteran

I'm wearing walking shoes at the moment. Would overshoes fit these? I do have some Aldi cycling shoes but I'm not sure I'm quite ready to go clipless yet.

6. Joe24

Joe24 More serious cyclist than Bonj

Well done!!
    Its when the water goes through the neoprene over shoes that you worry;) Horrible feeling, but really good fun going through the puddles :rolleyes:

7. Joe24

The over shoes wouldnt fit the walking shoes. You can get some proper socks for the walking shoes, and maybe Gators would stop some of the water going down your legs, but only if the shoe is sort of water proof.
    If your up for going clipless, then go for it. Its not as hard as you first think, and after some practice in a door frame watching TV you can get really used to it before you go out on the streets.

8. OP
    OP
    HelenD123

HelenD123 Veteran

I have some very thin normal-style Altura shorts and these dry very fast. I'm not keen on walking into the office in lycra.

9. Maz

Maz Guru

Keep spare underwear and socks at work, just in case. A towel, too.

10. magnatom

magnatom Guest

Just build up speed, aim for a puddle lift you legs up and shout Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!:rolleyes:

Disclaimer: Cycling through large puddles can be dangerous. There be potholes there!

11. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

Is there a toilet or other facility you can use to get changed in before going into the office?

You could carry a light pair of jogging bottoms or some such to put on when you get there.

12. Robster

Robster New Member

Well done Helen. When I started cycling to work, I bought a waterproof jacket and trousers, but I just got too hot and quickly abandoned them in favour of wearing clothes that dry quickly and changing at work.

I've got some thin cotton trousers which even if they get soaked through I can hang up and will be dry by the time I leave to go home. I can't imagine myself ever wearing lycra!

13. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

You get used to it Helen. I agree with what everyone else has said about quick-drying stuff and spare underwear supplies in the office etc. The hardest part is going out in the morning when you see the rain lashing against the window, but once you're out there it's often not as bad as it first looked (although sometimes it's worse!)

But a few soakings are a fact of commuting life. And personally I'd rather have rain than wind :rolleyes:

14. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

Why Robster? Lycra is great stuff for cycling!

15. Joe24

I once thought the same thing. No i thought, not whilst i am in school still, i will look stupid.
    I am now in lycra and have been for a while:laugh: