Fitter, but not slimmer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been commuting on my new commute now for just over 3 months. Taking the scenic, quieter, hillier route, which I much prefer, means I am commuting 23 miles a day instead of my previous 10.

I must admit I was expecting to loose a bit of weight. I hoped I would. I'm not seriously overweight, I'd just like to loose about 5-6kgs that i don't need. I don't seem to have lost them (maybe a kilo). I must be eating more as well....oops! :ohmy:

What I have noticed is that although I felt fit before, I am getting fitter. Until recently my resting heart rate has been in the mid 50's. Over the last week or so, I've been measuring it and it seems to be down to about 47! :sad: (Yes I know some on here will have much lower!)

Now I know that resting heart rate in itself is not a great indicator of fitness, but I assume the drop does indicate an relative improvement. I'm certainly finding the hills on the route easier now than I did at the start, and I now realise how short my previous commute was!

So what are other peoples experiences of increasing commute distances. Has it helped to shed the pounds? Has it significantly improved your fitness?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I could still do with losing half a stone. But it's proving to be pretty stubborn to do. My 30+ mile round commute has definitely made me far fitter then I ever was. And my stamina has definitely increased no end, as witness to myself on the FNRttC at the weekend. However with all the commuting and extra riding I seem to be constantly hungry, So i'm not really watching what I am eating but I am not eating a ton of crap like I used to.

Too knackered to increase my commuting distance.I checked my weight this morning and it's steady at 15 and a half stone and it has been for ages.

Keith Oates

Janner
I think you can get fitter without losing weight but I find that by regular commuting and giving it some effort, the weight does come down. Virtually the whole of January I was off the bike and the weight came on, particularly around the waist but after about a month of commuting most of it had disappeared. I'm not sure whether you commute at leisurely pace or give it some effort but if it's the former I'd suggest raising a little more sweat in the mornings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Debian

My problem is that although my fitness has improved dramatically I also have a bigger appetite so my weight is staying as it was.

At least I can eat more and stay the same though!

My best tip was reading Nicole's book on Cycling, and she says some where in there for an hours ride you do not really need to eat for the ride as you usually have enough stored for the ride before hitting the wall.

When I knew this I would eat very little in the week, just breakfast at work, weetabix usually, lunch of pasta around 600 calories and then some tuna or cereal for dinner.

Loose around 2 lb a week no problem, come the weekend I eat normally but not excessively and I keep loosing the weight.

I have now got to 13 st 3 lb, which is a bit too much loss so I eat what ever I like at the weekend, stick to the normal weekly eating habit and I find I do not gain any weight.

2 weekends ago, I had

Friday 1 curry, 2 nan breads, rice and onion bajis.
Saturnday chicken dinner done in the oven,
Sunday Fish and chips large portion of !
Monday night chips and 3 battered sausages.

Rest of the week eat my normal commute meals and had not not put any weight on.

When I eat my commute meal at the weekends I loose even more.

I commute every day 17 miles each way in all weathers, and takes an hour each way, mostly flat.

Last 10 days been on holiday and have eaten badly and have put on 6 pounds already ! but once back to work it will soon fall off again.

My eating habits gauge my weight loss and again. its very simple for me now if I ever gave the bike up I would be back to 17 stone in around 6 months ! I just love fish and chips !

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I will generally drop about 3-5 pounds in a week from riding 3-4 times (so about a pound a ride!)

but this must be latent weight (if such a thing exist's) as i easily put that back on over a weekend (or even a friday night).

The nett result is that my weight will generally remain constant regardless of the effort of riding.

However, what makes a huge difference is healthy eating.

If I combine a week of good diet, with a week of good riding, I generally only loose the same, but do not put it back on at the weekend so quickly.

So the neet result is always a general loss in weight. The problem is, I would loose the same if I just ate the same all the time (ignoring weekends) and took the bus!!

Needless to say, weight loss is not my primary motivation for riding a bike

Sorry Mags! But to lose weight and get slimmer requires more than 'just' exercise!

You have to burn more than you consume, so have a look at your diet and see where the calories are coming from.

Cut out canned drinks, such as Coke and Sprite etc., plus cakes and biscuits, desserts, sweets etc.

Boring, yes: but in the long run you'll notice the benefits and your jeans will soon feel comfortable around your waist again, instead of trying to cut you like a cheese wire! :ohmy:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
So you are finally admitting to being to being a bit tubby??

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Dayvo said:
Sorry Mags! But to lose weight and get slimmer requires more than 'just' exercise!

You have to burn more than you consume, so have a look at your diet and see where the calories are coming from.

Cut out canned drinks, such as Coke and Sprite etc., plus cakes and biscuits, desserts, sweets etc.

Boring, yes: but in the long run you'll notice the benefits and your jeans will soon feel comfortable around your waist again, instead of trying to cut you like a cheese wire! :ohmy:

You forget my wife is a dietician! :smile: I'm just surprised that I eat enough extra to negate the expenditure. It's not the end of the world loosing weight, but I thought it would just happen (i.e. I would eat more, but not enough to cancel it out). My wife is happy as I am, and has pointed out that I'm certainly not, and unlikely too, put any weight on. I'll just keep enjoying the cakes and beers! :sad:

Bandini

Everyone keeps telling me I have lost weight - but I think it is partly due to the fact that I would rather cycle than go to the pub for an afternoon now, and I want to get up early to cycle so I have gone off drinking volume on an evening. All those stouts add up!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

HJ said:
So you are finally admitting to being to being a bit tubby??
:ohmy:

Oh I would never say otherwise! I can pinch more than an inch!:sad:

I've always known my weight. I needed to when I competed at judo. When I first started uni (back in 1995) I was fighting in the -71kg. I certainly had less muscle then, and I was a bit skinny, but I now weigh about 86kg.

I'd be happier at about 81kg, but it's no biggie. I think fitness is much more important.

Alan Whicker

I was weighed at the doc's the other day. I weigh exactly the same as I did two years back, before I returned to cycling and when I was a tub of lard :ohmy:. I'm definitely slimmer though - the shorts I wore yesterday for the first time since september were hanging off me. I'm convinced that watching portion size and cutting out bread has been a huge factor.

Top Bottom