Fitting Dura Ace Bar End Shifters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Ok, my back order on these has finally arrived and comes complete with cable outers, inners and various little bits. As my bike has MTB shifters then there aren't the inline adjusters at the cable stops. Also I was planning on routing the cable under the tape all the way to the middle of the bars, as per the brake cables. So:-

1. any particular type of inline adjuster that's best to go for?

2. the cable outers are 600mm each and I'm not sure that's long enough to route the way I want. If I need to buy more outer is there any that would be better for my intended use?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
1/ I don't bother with inline adjusters myself, so no help to you there if you feel you want them.

2/ I buy outer cables from my LBS, they just cut the length you want from a reel. It is much cheaper than buying a pre cut set and I have never found any difference in shift quality over Campag or Shimano cables.

I dont agree (strongly). New cables do stretch and an inlline adjuster is definitely usefull for the front mech especially. My Annalisa doesn't have cable stops on the frame. She's running super record, so to get perfect adjustment i use jagwire inline adjusters. I could never have got the front mech right without them!

I don't have them on my TT bike, as there's already an adjuster on the rear mech for the back and I only have two rings on the front so it's just a matter of setting the high-low stops on the mech - basically it is only a non-indexed shifter shifting between inner and outer rings.

However if you had an indexed front shifter then you'd definitely need the adjuster, or if the chainset is a triple then I can perhaps it would make it a bit easier to set-up.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

I was wondering that myself, it is a triple but I planned, even if there is an indexed option, on running the FD under friction shifting. I have only used the 52t ring once and 95% of my riding is in the 42t, I've even thought of replacing the 52t with a bash guard:biggrin:

I have found a cable stop barrel adjuster in the garage, the frame has cable stops so I can put that on for the rear. But, as you say, it has the adjuster at the rear mech anyway. The other option is to fit one of the ritchey ones that goes in at the shifter itself. I'll go with what I have to start with and see how it pans out.

I'm just waiting on another set of Tektro RL520's and v-brake noodles with adjusters, before I can finalise anyway. I was hoping it would have all been up and running for the hilly ride on Saturday, but looking doubtful now.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Cables do indeed stretch, but only initially. Once you've taken up the slack on the front mech clamp that should be enough for the life of the cable. I've just replace the cables on my winter hack after four years and one adjustment in the first few weeks was all I needed to do.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
There's no need for in line cable adjusters when using bar end shifters.
The front shifter isn't indexed, and the rear mech has its own adjuster.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Spot on.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

andrew_s said:

thanks, makes sense to me, I've never needed to use the existing adjusters anyway...cheers.....Al

Top Bottom