fitting modern type recessed brakes, to a vintage frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fr188

hello I'm looking for any pointers/ tips, with drilling out the rear brake bridge, I was going to try to hand drill with a 8mm drill bit and mole grips to fit recessed brakes, the forks look straight forward enough to do
thanks

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The easiest way round this is to fit a front brake there using a nut, or buy a nut fitting brakeset.
I'd be wary of taking a drill to an old frame.

hello I'm looking for any pointers/ tips, with drilling out the rear brake bridge, I was going to try to hand drill with a 8mm drill bit and mole grips to fit recessed brakes, the forks look straight forward enough to do
thanks
Drilling a straight and centre crosswise hole through a tube is notoriously difficult. You have one additional challenge on the brake bridge and that's getting the angle right too. Create a little jig for the job and make sure of your angles first. Start with a pilot hole and then progress with a step drill. A standard twist drill creates a triangular hole slightly bigger than nominal size.

The fork is easier, provided you have meat there to work with. That hole is perpendicular to the steerer but should be perfectly in plane. Remove the fork and clamp it securely and squarely and use a drill press, not handheld drill.

Measure twice, drill once.

Edit: Since the brake caliper will more than likely come with a flat seat at the mount bolt, you will have to find a suitable half-round converter washer/spacer in order to get the brake to seat nicely on the round bridge tube.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fr188

fr188

Thanks for the replies, I'm still just thinking my options, I wont be home to have a good look at it until 3 weeks from now,its a 531 db frame

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The easiest way round this is to fit a front brake there using a nut, or buy a nut fitting brakeset.
I'd be wary of taking a drill to an old frame.
Exactly correct, the front brake caliper is identical to a rear, they just have a longer bolt.
Drilling the fork out to 8mm ( from 5) is easy but remember just drill the back of the fork to accept the sleeve nut (DO NOT Drill Right Through) and I make sure the drill is the right size to give a snug fit to the sleeve nut. I always choose one that doesn't quite 'bottom out' at the front of the fork crown but has plenty of engagement on the thread.

S-Express

thanks

Unlikely to be possible on the rear, as the seat tube will be in the way. Most brake bridges are drilled before brazing.

S-Express

I don't understand.

He wants to adapt the rear brake bridge to accept a sleeve nut - but things are going to get in the way, given the angle, the available space and the direction of drilling.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
He wants to adapt the rear brake bridge to accept a sleeve nut - but things are going to get in the way, given the angle, the available space and the direction of drilling.
Not to mention that they generally don't have enough 'meat' to allow drilling without becoming weak if they're just a piece of tube, then there is the fact that ideally you need a pair of concave washers to fit them securely.

Tim Hall

I had the exact same problem on a frame I was converting. I drilled the bridge all the way through from the 'wrong' side. It worked fine for me.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When faced with a similar problem ... I purchased a set of nut-fit brakes. They weren't expensive and they work a treat.

So I have no useful advice for you.

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
fr188

fr188

thanks for the replies, the rear bridge is flat on both sides I wont need a concave washer but a lock type one, if I use the front brake on the rear is there something about turning the brake pads.heres a picture of the same type of rear bridge

Attachments

• s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 195
Top Bottom