Fitting SKS Chromoplastic mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jo25

Hi,

After reading many of the posts on here about mudguards I decided to buy some SKS Chromplastic guards as they were always very highly praised. Unfortunately I cannot work out how to fit the bloody things! The instructions that come with them are crap and while I bought the ones for a hybrid bike (I have a Trek 7200) the front one seems too big.

Can anyone give me any tips?

Cheers

Jo

Oddjob62

"Too big" in what way? Got some installed on my Spec Globe right here.

stephec

Legendary Member
Can I throw another question in here as well?

How are you supposed to mount that brake bridge on the rear mudguard? I've thought of three different ways already, is there a 'right' way to do it?

RedBike

stephec said:
Can I throw another question in here as well?

How are you supposed to mount that brake bridge on the rear mudguard? I've thought of three different ways already, is there a 'right' way to do it?

SKS_guard_1_lo.jpg

This is the best picture I could find.
Any clearer?

I don't suppose it really matters so long as it holds the guards in place.

OP
OP
J

Jo25

I've managed to get the back one fitted ok, though possibly not totally in the right way but it fits well and won't fall off.

I attach a picture (hopefully) to show what I mean by 'too big' - hopefully you can see the gap between the mudguard and the wheel is large around the back of the wheel and too close on top of the wheel. Can you just push the stays of the mudguards further through?

Jo25 said:
I've managed to get the back one fitted ok, though possibly not totally in the right way but it fits well and won't fall off.

I attach a picture (hopefully) to show what I mean by 'too big' - hopefully you can see the gap between the mudguard and the wheel is large around the back of the wheel and too close on top of the wheel. Can you just push the stays of the mudguards further through?
Undo the four nuts at the end of the stays, place the guard where you want it and do em back up. What to do with the excess is a matter of debate.

Apeman

Über Member
release the nuts holding the stays slightly and push through until it fits closer to the tyre and tighten them up again. Then cut the protruding end off but not flush with the nut and put on the littie black end cap.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Apeman said:
release the nuts holding the stays slightly and push through until it fits closer to the tyre and tighten them up again. Then cut the protruding end off but not flush with the nut and put on the littie black end cap.

Yep, what apeman and mickle said ^^^^^^

stephec

Legendary Member
RedBike said:
SKS_guard_1_lo.jpg

This is the best picture I could find.
Any clearer?

I don't suppose it really matters so long as it holds the guards in place.

That was option number one, and the way I ended up doing it. :sad:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
mine were a right barrel of monkeys to fit (winter bike, in sig), although the bike has mounting points for them, the clearance under the front brake is minimal, requiring the front tyre to be inflated to no more than 80psi so it doesn't rub on the underside of the mudguard.

once they're on, and you've bent the metal bits to eliminate any rubbing, they do a good job.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
alecstilleyedye said:
, the clearance under the front brake is minimal, requiring the front tyre to be inflated to no more than 80psi so it doesn't rub on the underside of the mudguard.

I filed the bottom of hole in the bracket to give more upwards adjustment to get around that problem. Runs 110 psi no problem :smile:

Top Bottom