fixed frames- advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
lordjenks said:
That is a track bike, so -
- rather upright, which you might find less comfortable
- not hugely cheap, given that 6061 is a basic tubing IIRC
- no brake drillings at all. That would rule it out, for me.

MajorMantra

From the pics it looks to me like the forks may be drilled for brakes actually.

I wouldn't get one of those to be honest. The welds are hideous and look very rough. For a bit more money you could get a Dolan that looks far nicer and you won't have to get it from China. Don't forget you'd probably have to pay importy duty and VAT on top of the ebay price.

Or what about a Pompino or something?

Matthew

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
MajorMantra said:
From the pics it looks to me like the forks may be drilled for brakes actually.

I wouldn't get one of those to be honest. The welds are hideous and look very rough. For a bit more money you could get a Dolan that looks far nicer and you won't have to get it from China. Don't forget you'd probably have to pay importy duty and VAT on top of the ebay price.

Or what about a Pompino or something?

Matthew

Yeah I agree with the forks, they're drilled and there's arear brake bridge as well. But some of the welding looks shocking. They look too good to be true and probably are. Track bikes are for riding on... tracks! Not bumpy roads and not for long periods either. There's a lot of choice about for fixed frames these days, they're not all cheap but bargains can be had if you keep your eye out. Old 531 frames are great rebuild projects.
If I were buying new... the Salsa Casseroll frame is currently one of my faves!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Strangely enough, 88 squids is almost exactly what a friend of mine just paid for a Carlton Pro-Am 12, which would absolutely crap on that piece of...um...

You say you want a new one because it's 'less effort'? How does that work? Get a good 2nd hand bike and most of the stuff you're going to need is already on it. Buy a new bare frame and you're starting from scratch.

2nd hand is also much less appealing to scrotes.

If you're on a budget, and you say you are, buying new is simply bonkers.

OP
OP
L

lordjenks

im based in reading area, the reason why i want a new frame is because then i can get the colour i want and i know that everything is safe and sound, im looking for a bombproof fixie that i can really throw around, i will get soem halo or charge disks to go with it aswell..

RedBike

Unless you've got very specific requirements I would just buy a complete bike. You should be able to pick up something in good condition for £200/300.

By the time you've brought wheels, tyres, sprockets, brakes etc this build is probably going to work out costing you well over the £300 mark.

That Ebay frame is **horrible**, and if you buy new bits you'll struggle to build it under budget.

How tall are you? I might have a suitable frame in Reading.

Top Bottom