Fixed - starting off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigfella

Über Member
Well I did my first fixed ride the other day, did 10 miles. Was good fun and seemed to get on ok. The only thing I have a problem with is starting off, for example, at some traffic lights on a geared / SS bike you can "reset" your pedal position.

Whats the nack here? Front brake on, raise rear wheel slightly and reset the crank position?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
bigfella said:
Whats the nack here? Front brake on, raise rear wheel slightly and reset the crank position?

Yep!
Or, learn to stop in the right position.
Or stop where ypu can lean against a post/railings so no need to unclip.
Or, learn to trackstand!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
bigfella said:
Thats what I did at the time after looking like a pen15. Just rode slowly up to lights.
What's wrong with that? What's nice about a fixie is that you tend to ride more smoothly and conservatively. Why race to the lights and slam on the brakes (apart from doing stoppies!)?

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
Fab Foodie said:
What's wrong with that? What's nice about a fixie is that you tend to ride more smoothly and conservatively. Why race to the lights and slam on the brakes (apart from doing stoppies!)?

No I meant nearly falling off!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Come to a stop and put one foot on the ground. Apply brakes, lean forward unweighting the back wheel and move clipped in foot to desired start position. :eek:

GrasB

Veteran
Learn to track stand... my technique is slow almost to a stop then bunny hop pulling the 'front foot' into position, grab the back brake before you land & clip out/track stand.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Moving the starting pedal round is more difficult with two heavy panniers on the back. I rode two 200k brevets up to the AUK agm in York last week, on a 64" gear.

That's the thing about fixed, you soon learn to think ahead much more than on a geared bike, I think you become a better rider for it as you anticipate everything. I always track stand now but it's best to get confident at it as nothing worse than trackstanding at the head of a couple of lines of cars then falling over :biggrin:

Top Bottom