Fixed Wheel Chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Farky

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help...

...yesterday, I replaced the chain on my fixed wheel bike and now, under pressure, I am getting an annoying rattle type noise similar but worse to that you often get when you resist the fixed hub.

Is this normal and is it just a case of the chain wearing in or have I done something wrong? I have fully lubed the chain (twice), measured the chain and have a tug-nut fitted.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Knackered sprocket.

OP
OP
Farky

Farky

Must be the front then as my rear is only a month or so old but to be fair, the front has covered around 5k. So would it have never made a noise before because it wore with the chain?

If your chain was worn but your sprocket was new I'm surprised that combo wasn't noisy, however it will to some extent have worn your sprocket which now is unlikely to not fit the sprocket. Hope that makes sense. Unlikely to be your chainring unless you have a very worn chain, just look for hooked teeth.

Zoiders

New chain on a used chain ring = they can clatter like buggery, give it a few hundred miles and the rollers will wear a bit and it will go away on it's own.

Not being geared it's far more tolerant of mismatching wear.

OP
OP
Farky

Farky

New chain on a used chain ring = they can clatter like buggery, give it a few hundred miles and the rollers will wear a bit and it will go away on it's own.

Not being geared it's far more tolerant of mismatching wear.

Seems to be the case, did my usual 30 mile commute and it already appears to have got better. Thanks for all your replies and with regard to the tightness, it's pretty much spot on which the tug-nut really comes in handy for.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom