Fixed wheel/gears.........why ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Front brake on, bum off saddle, and lift the rear wheel by pushing forwards & down on the handlebars.

I do this, or in fact just stop slightly further back so my cranks are parallel to the ground (assuming I am not doing an awesome trackstand).

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It occurred to me today that another thing I like about riding fixed is that because I have to go up and over the ridge, both there and back, I have two brief periods every day when I am working as hard as I possibly can. And I suspect there's a benefit to that. When I'm riding a geared bike around town I never work at my actual limit. Going uphill in particular - I'll shift down and 'spin not grind'. But if you're climbing a hill in a high fixed gear, you have to push as hard as you possibly can. (I compound it by having a thing against standing on the pedals. A cad may stand; a gentleman remains seated. If it's steeper, push harder.) And that's a particular kind of exercise, which I suspect is actually beneficial....as part of your balanced riding diet. A bit like circuit training.

tyred

Legendary Member
An old friend of the parsimonious war generation would repair brake and gear cables that had frayed at the lever end. Cut the frayed part off and re-solder the nipple on to sound cable.

I did that on my Raleigh Trent as I couldn't source the correct cables at the right time. Still fine several years later. The thing to bear in my mind is that most brakes cables today are stainless steel. You'd need to deliberately find the plain galvanised variety if you need to solder your own ends.

VeganWheels

Was just out in a car with a colleague & we came up behind someone on a slight incline that I cycle often,he was out of the saddle & working his nuts off.
I said to my colleague 'christ, he can't be that unfit,I fly up here' as we passed, I realised he was indeed one of those fixed gear lunatics...fair play to him ,however it's put me off ever trying such an insane thing!

All uphill

Still rolling along
Was just out in a car with a colleague & we came up behind someone on a slight incline that I cycle often,he was out of the saddle & working his nuts off.
I said to my colleague 'christ, he can't be that unfit,I fly up here' as we passed, I realised he was indeed one of those fixed gear lunatics...fair play to him ,however it's put me off ever trying such an insane thing!
Wow, I love these thread revivals!

I'm not confident to cycle fixed, but really enjoy single speed around town and for flattish rides. I'd encourage anyone to try it.

Sharky

Guru
Reminds me of the old Guinness advert

simongt

Guru
I did that on my Raleigh Trent as I couldn't source the correct cables at the right time. Still fine several years later. The thing to bear in my mind is that most brakes cables today are stainless steel. You'd need to deliberately find the plain galvanised variety if you need to solder your own ends.
Many years ago, I had a pre-ww2 BSA step through frame bike as it was all I could afford at the time ( but it did the job ). The tyres boasted the legend 'Dunlop war grade rubber' - ! The Bowden cable brakes were of fixed length with a lead nipple at each end. Fortunately I was able to source replacements from my LBS at the time. :thumbsup: Anywhere else; pre t'net days, was hopeless. :thumbsdown:

Top Bottom