1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixed wheel on a QR skewer - is it safe?

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by Twenty Inch, 6 Mar 2008.

1. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Hi

I have a fixed wheel, and I've probably bought a frame on Fleabay ("My finger slipped, darling, honest!").

The wheel is on a QR skewer - will it be tight enough in the frame, or should I replace it with a solid axle and bolts?

thanks

2. It will work but Its not best as you cant get the right tention. I have changed all mine as I ride hard and it slips.

3. papercorn2000

papercorn2000 Senior Member

Ooh, asking for trouble unless you have vertical dropouts!

4. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Where's Fnaar ? ;)

5. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

I'm not convinced. I have solid axles at the moment although I have used QRs with no particular problems - I think the late great Sheldon told me I could do it. They do need to be tighter than usual, of course.

Have you read all the stuff on his site about it? Well worth it if you haven't.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/fixeda.html

6. Its not the done thing old bean, install a solid axle in your hub.

7. rustychisel

rustychisel Well-Known Member

where are the FAQs?

Anyway, the correct answer is maybe, depending on dropouts, QR etc. Naysayers are talking bollocks, but you need a good strong QR (old style steel shanked Shimano or Campagnolo, Suntour etc preferred. Some dropout faces are really bad at providing sufficient grip: like titanium frames, polished chrome, some alloy, etc. If it slips, it slips, and washers and nuts will slip also, but allow at least the possibility of getting a bit more ooomph into it. If it slips it'll slip sideways, rubbing the tyre into the left side chainstay. Sometimes the chain will unship. Sometimes it will be bad, usually not. Find out what your machine will put up with by some careful riding and testing before you go monster sprinter crazy.

8. OP
    OP
    Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Thanks chisel, that's a helpful analysis.

9. Canrider

Canrider Guru

Too rushed to find the link, but ASC is right that Sheldon's got some info on the topic, and he is favourable.

10. ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

Aaaaaaaargh! I was just reading this on his website when I came across the photographs at the bottom of the page xx(xx(:blush:! I nearly did that when working on my (non-fixed) bike, but all I did was nip a piece of skin rather than the whole finger!

As for the original question... Quick releases should hold wheels in place whatever direction dropouts are facing and whether one is riding fixedwheel or freewheel is not strictly relevant. The problem is that if a fixedwheel slips, the results could be very nasty indeed :angry:

I think the question is really one about emotional security. Would I trust myself to walk along the top of a 1 metre high brick wall? Yes. Would I walk along the top of a 5 metre high brick wall? It should be equally simple to do, but no I wouldn't!

11. Rev Will

Rev Will New Member

I've only every run a QR on fixed when I was also running two chaintugs on track ends, and it didn't slip, though I eventually seemed to bend the skewers. That was probably my hamfisted mechanic skills rather than raw power.

12. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

The solution is to fit wing-nuts to the rear spindle, used to be quite common among those who didn't want to carry a spanner.