Fixie or Geared

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Olaf

Regular
Just looking to start riding again and am considering a Fixed wheel as opposed to gears.

Any thoughts or tips ??

D

Deleted member 1258

How long has it been since you last rode? It may be an idea to start with a bike with a flip/flop rear hub, that way you could start with a single speed with a freewheel then once you are used to riding again flip the wheel to start riding fixed.

OP
OP
Olaf

Olaf

Regular
Thanks for that, in truth its been a while. I'm on pretty tight budget any thoughts on which bike to look at ?

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I bought a Specialized Langster (fixie) last autumn and I've done 1,500 miles on it since then - in the same period I've done about 120 or so on my Surly Cross Check (18 speed). I tend to chose the Langster over the Cross Check for any journey of less than, say, 70 miles where hills aren't a big factor. I find that riding fixed gives a better workout in a shorter distance and, consequently, a bigger improvement in fitness over riding gears. As the weather gets nicer and the days get longer I expect the Cross Check will come out more for longer journeys. If I had to chose just one I would chose the Cross Check - because it will do everything. But as I'm lucky enough to have both I think the Langster will continue to get the most use - particularly in the winter.

Bigsharn

Veteran
There's a middle ground, you can go singlespeed on a freewheel hub, and not go fully fixed.

To be honest I'd go gears if you're just starting out again, that way you can find out what gear ratio (or inches) suits you best and get a fixie/singlespeed as your N+1

OP
OP
Olaf

Olaf

Regular
Thanks for the advice, like I said I'm on a budget so any suggestions on how much I should be looking to pay and any makes/models to chose or avoid

calibanzwei

How mcuh of a budget?

Ivan Ardon

Length of commute? Frequency? Many hills? Will you do your own repairs? How shiny do you like your bike to be? Are you bothered about brand image? Are you fit? Flexible? etc etc. Lots of questions need answering before you'll get a sensible answer.

Dan_h

Length of commute? Frequency? Many hills? Will you do your own repairs? How shiny do you like your bike to be? Are you bothered about brand image? Are you fit? Flexible? etc etc. Lots of questions need answering before you'll get a sensible answer.

+1 to this.

I re-started cycling regularly about 18 months ago. I began on a geared bike, but tried a single speed after about a year. I have found that i can get up loads more hills on a single speed than I thought, but I am not sure I would have found the same when I just started out. The triple I was using at that point felt quite hard work sometimes. I think that you can use a single or a fixie for just about anything (I have done rides of 50 miles + in the Chiltern hills on my single speed) but it will be harder work than with gears. If you are pretty fit to begin with then you will be fine, otherwise build up some fitness to begin with then give a single speed / fixie a try.

jim55

Guru
i bought this to try it ,pretty cheap and its ok ,not too heavy and rides well
its this but with drop bars
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIXIE-COY...0847199921?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2a1b5546b1
heres it when i got it
ef971627.jpg

ded00198.jpg

a1ce4a10.jpg

oops ,wrong pic ,obv i put the rack on

Attachments

• ef971627.jpg
    ef971627.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 8
  • ded00198.jpg
    ded00198.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 14
  • a1ce4a10.jpg
    a1ce4a10.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
Olaf

Olaf

Regular
I'm reasonably fit, but it will be for leisure not commuting as yet.I have a budget of between £250 to £300. I'm not bothered about brands or image and I will be doing my own repairs and maintenance

Dan_h

I'm reasonably fit, but it will be for leisure not commuting as yet.I have a budget of between £250 to £300

If you are in reasonably good shape and are using it for leisure use so are not too worried about taking a little longer to get places (due to having to push up some steeper hills!) then fixed or geared is really your choice. I can't stand faffing with gears and like the simplicity of just running a single cog so that is my favored option. £250 - £300 will get you a better fixed gear bike than an equivalent priced geared bike.

I have just bought a new bike today though, and it is a fixie, so I may be a little biased :thumbsup:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
go singlespeed its easy to convert any bike you buy that is geared , just need somebody to dish rear wheel .

so do what i and many others do pick up a reasonable old 80's racer and get rear wheel dished and you could be riding a singlespeed bike for a lot less than a new one ie sub £150

Top Bottom