Fixies - Foffa bikes any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snapper

Hi first of all, this being my first post. Clearly I'm new to this but recently came across this website http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/Foffa bikes http://foffabikes.com/ Foffa fixies. To my untrained eye they look great and good prices too but has anyone heard of their rep. Are the bikes worth buying? I certainly like the look and price but dont want to get drawn in to a rubbish buy just for the sake of it if they're not as good as they seem.

Cheers.
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/Foffa

kyuss

Veteran
Their prices are way off. Nearly £400 for an old steel frame and cheap parts. You could build something yourself for half that price.

MajorMantra

MacB said:
I would really like to know how you build up a bike for £200?

Start with an old road bike and you could easily do it. A suicide hub conversion could easily come in under £100 if the bike was cheap to begin with and you can pick up a basic fixed wheelset for something like £90.

Matthew

MajorMantra

Just had a look at that site actually. The conversions do look a bit overpriced but the Prima that they're releasing next year seems quite decent actually - a full build with a new 4130 frame isn't bad value at £399.

Matthew

I have to say, it worries me one of their bikes has a magic gear. Very dangerous unless you are watching it like a hawk.

I'd ride a bike with a magic gear if I built it myself, but I wouldn't sell someone else one, and these people shouldn't either.

MajorMantra

chris667 said:
I have to say, it worries me one of their bikes has a magic gear. Very dangerous unless you are watching it like a hawk.

I'd ride a bike with a magic gear if I built it myself, but I wouldn't sell someone else one, and these people shouldn't either.

What's so dangerous about it? With a decent chainline and appropriate chainset the chain shouldn't come off unless it's really quite slack. Plenty of people ride magic gears without problems.

Matthew

irontam

I wouldn't buy one, but then I like building them.

If you couldn't or don't want to build one, then maybe buying one of these rebuilds with a warranty gives you peace of mind as well as the kudos of running old-tech.

Still, it seems pretty pricey. But then it is London, where people are happy to pay a premium.

MajorMantra said:
What's so dangerous about it? With a decent chainline and appropriate chainset the chain shouldn't come off unless it's really quite slack. Plenty of people ride magic gears without problems.

Matthew

It's dangerous if you don't know how slack a chain you can get away with, and as these are meant for people that just want a bike without learning about bike building it's definitely a safety issue, IMO.

I've had great adventures with bikes that had magic gears, but I wouldn't build one for someone else if they were paying me.

MajorMantra

Yellow Fang said:
What's a magic gear?

On bikes with dropouts that don't allow fore-aft movement it's often possible to create a fixed setup by finding a particular cog/chainring combination and chain length that will give approximately the right chain tension. There are online calculators to aid in finding this 'magic gear'.

Matthew

Radius

SHREDDER
Agreed some of these are overpriced. 531 tubing one looks decent VFM frame-wise, but still cheapish other components.
Not really a fan looks wise either...

oggmonster

These bikes are completely overpriced - I bought one about 18 months ago for around £300 and it is literally in bits now. I got so fed up with the niggling mechanical problems and substandard no-name parts that I cut my losses and bought an off-the-peg SS bike - a far superior machine for similar money with a proper guarantee (I think these guys give you just three months). It's aimed squarely at the London market where people will pay over the odds for a trendy bike, but I suspect that they have very few - or any - repeat customers. I suspect they are picking up frames from police auctions, giving them a nice spray job, adding a few basic parts and making a huge margin on each one. Nothing wrong with that - it's good business - but if you're tempted then have a look first at what you can get elsewhere for the same money and then take someone that knows their stuff along with you if you still want to check them out.

danifoffa

Hi all,

This is Dani from Foffa Bikes and I just wanted to clarify a couple of points:

We have been in the industry for 3 years but recently set up our shop front & website under the name of Foffa Bikes. We provide a service for those that don't have the time or the knowledge to build up a single speed bike or fixie themselves. We take care of everything, from going through the different options with the customers, supplying the parts and building bespoke bikes up to the desired standard. We all have Cytech certificates here and always try to give a few maintenance tips before the customer takes the bike away with them.

A second hand single speed bike may be cheaper outside of London. But our bikes are bespoke, our vintage frames are thoroughly refurbished and powder-coated (which by the way tends to cost around £70 in London), most of the parts we use are new, and we include a 12 months warranty. We can obviously supply more expensive components depending on your budget. Our standard parts are based on the feedback we have received after building over 500 bikes and we have made a lot of customers happy.

Issues can arise due to the mechanical nature of bikes, but we have always tried our best to provide excellent post-sale service. We are even known to go to the customer's place to get things sorted (once I rode to this guy's flat at 11.30 at night cause he had to go to work in the morning!).

For those new to the ss community & reading this post, a rough breakdown of how much the industry would charge for a newly refurbished ss bike is:

- vintage frame + powder-coating job £120 - £150
- lightweight wheelset + puncture proof racing tires £100 - £120
- sealed bb + crank + chain + pedals + sprocket £60 - £100
- calipers + levers + cables + handlebars + stem + grips £50 - £70
- saddle + seatpost £30 - £50

This doesn’t include labour, the one year warranty and the service we supply after the purchase.
We are very passionate about what we do but obviously we are also a business and would ideally try to make a little profit, but I think you can appreciate that we are not a money churning machine unlike some of the online bike companies out there.

As for the magic gear, I have thoroughly adjusted the vertical dropouts so that there is enough clearance to pull the wheel back when the chain gets loose.

We are always open to feedback & would welcome you to swing by Foffa Bikes for a coffee & a chat of how we can do things better for you. If you feel that your matter is not resolved you can always speak with me directly on 07946 772457. We are always willing to listen & act on issues or advise on any queries you might have.

We look forward to hearing back from you or seeing you at our workshop in East London.

Dani Foffa

Top Bottom