Flèche Wallonne - 22nd April 2015 - SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I see Valverde is widely tipped as favourite for this one, and he looked in strong form at Amstel Gold...

So, who are we rooting for to beat him? Presumably it will all come down to the final climb as usual though. Question is who can outclimb Valverde on the Mur de Huy? I'd like to see Dan Martin or Sergio Henao take it, but I've gone for Nibali in the predictor - could be a last bid for glory before Astana lose their licence...

The Couch

Über Member
I have the feeling NIbali is doing his same trick as last year. Showing himself in all races (mostly in the last 20K), but fading in the last 5K.
Everything in function of building towards top form in the Tour. (I believe he is extra motivated, since he wants to "prove" he can beat Froome and Contador and last year wasn't just the luck of being the 3rd strongest left)

Martin was in the lead group in the Amstel, despite being in the third last position at about 10K away from the finish, so he must have ridden a strong finish. I'd like him to take it, but I do understand that Valverde is the best overall bet.

Might be something for an outsider again this year (like when Moreno won it), what about Caruso?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I'm hoping Simon Yates can do well - apparently he's been trying to develop the race tactics needed to win in a race like this, to supplement his pure talent. Dan Martin has said this is his race this year, but he doesn't seem to be on particular form, compared to Valvpiti in particular. Henao seems to be coming back to his best, but I'm not sure he's quite there yet. I think that the finale is a little too steep for Kwiatkowski. Pierre Rolland seems to be very lively right now and I imagine he will have a go. And what about Arredondo? Nibali and Froome will just be there as recon for the TdF, I suspect.

beastie

Guru
I'm hoping Simon Yates can do well - apparently he's been trying to develop the race tactics needed to win in a race like this, to supplement his pure talent. Dan Martin has said this is his race this year, but he doesn't seem to be on particular form, compared to Valvpiti in particular. Henao seems to be coming back to his best, but I'm not sure he's quite there yet. I think that the finale is a little too steep for Kwiatkowski. Pierre Rolland seems to be very lively right now and I imagine he will have a go. And what about Arredondo? Nibali and Froome will just be there as recon for the TdF, I suspect.

Past form indicates Martin and Valverde near the top step at least. I agree that Simon Yates could be a good outside bet-especially after his strong ride on the slopes to Aia at the Basque Country. I think Moreno will also be a danger.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Might be something for an outsider again this year (like when Moreno won it), what about Caruso?

Might he not be feeling a bit sore after his crash the other day?

FM, I expect you're right about Nibali but I thought he looked genuinely interested in the race at the weekend, and maybe this one suits him better. Pierre Rolland does look in good form - not sure you can read too much into his Castilla y Leon win given the quality of the opposition, but he might enjoy the final climb. Arredondo looks like a bit of a stab in the dark though!

Buddfox

Veteran
Ah great - but doesn't look like it's on Eurosport? This is what confused me, I assumed it would be.

As in previous years, there's also the women's World Cup event - hoping for a good ride from Lizzie Armitstead.

EDIT: sorry, it is on British Eurosport. I'm struggling today.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Tomorrow...

I cocked up the date in the thread title, didn't I?
Go to 'Thread Tools' at the top right of the page and select 'Edit Thread Title'!

PS It caught me out too. I knew the race was on Wednesday but I thought today WAS Wednesday! :laugh:

The Couch

Über Member
Might he not be feeling a bit sore after his crash the other day?

... Pierre Rolland ... might enjoy the final climb. Arredondo looks like a bit of a stab in the dark though!
I was actually talking about the 3rd horse of Katusha, Giampaolo, who I find to be improving as each year goes by (I believe him to be pretty close to the win last year in LBL as well) and he won't have many years to come to try and take a nice win. And he might get some leeway when he makes a move, since it's the other 2 Katusha guys that will be focused on.

Theoretically this one seems a bit too short/punchy for Rolland.
Arredondo could be a nice bet if he is in shape an interested (but not sure about either).
Yates is (are?) indeed a guy(s) who should be able to win this one day.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I was actually talking about the 3rd horse of Katusha, Giampaolo

Ah, I see! Yes, that makes more sense. He did finish in the first bunch at Amstel Gold too.

Theoretically this one seems a bit too short/punchy for Rolland.

I mentally ruled out Bauke Mollema for that reason, but Rolland has a bit more punch than Mollema, doesn't he? Possibly not enough punch to take on Valverde though...

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Anna v d Breggen wins the women's race, ahead of Annamiek van Vleuten and Megan Guarnier, so a good race for Rabo-Liv. Prevot 8th. No word on Trott.

Top Bottom