Flat bar to Drop bar conversion Specialized Sirrus Elite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonerider

Here are before and after pictures of my recent flat bar to drop bar conversion

I initially bought my Specialized Sirrus Elite to get into road cycling. I always thought drop bars and levers looked dangerous to operate and settled on the Sirrus following the advice of Dales cycles in Glasgow. It is a great bike and was the right bike for me at the time.

However, having gained confidence on the roads and wanting ever more speed and performance and having had a go of some road bikes recently I saw the advantages of having a racing styled bike. These for me included being in a wind beating posture and being able to control braking and gear changes from both the upright position (on hoods - previously bar ends) and on the drop position.

Having been out on the bike following the conversion I have noticed an overall advantage in my average speeds of around 1 mph (previously 15.5 mph now 16.5 mph on country lanes with rolling hills). I also think my bike is lighter overall however I have not weighed it.

Here is a list of parts bought from Ribblecycles.co.uk used for the conversion:

• Shimano Tiagra 4500 9 Speed STI Levers
  • Road racing drop handlebars
  • Cinneli cork ribbon
  • Gear/ Brake cable inners and outers
Total Cost £112

The Ergo levers work with mini V brakes – something which when researching I found much conflicting information.

The Tiagra Ergo levers plumed straight in to existing front and rear derailers and work with triple and double chainsets. They are of high quality and are extremely comfy.

I hope this is of some interest to those thinking about doing the same. It saved me a fortune from buying a new bike (which I nearly done at a cost of £900).

Lonerider ;)

GilesM

Legendary Member
The after pic looks much better, I'm glad you are seeing the real benefit of the drop handle bar. Just as a matter of interest, did you change to the SPD pedals before of at the same time as the handlebar change, just wonder if that added any improvement to the average speeds.

Have fun

Giles

OP
OP
Lonerider

Lonerider

GilesM said:
Just as a matter of interest, did you change to the SPD pedals before of at the same time as the handlebar change, just wonder if that added any improvement to the average speeds.

Have fun

Giles

I changed the pedals around 2 months ago along with the tyres which were 28c before - now 23c for improved rolling resistance, My average speed went from low 14s to mid 15s in MPH.

Again I was fearfull of being attached to the pedals, however having took the plunge it's been a cycling revolution for me (exuse the unintended play on words). I haven't had a clipless moment (yet) and am really confident in them. In terms of difficulty of use out of ten - ten being the hardest to operate I would have initailly rated them on first use as 2/10 for difficulty, now 0/10.

As for skinny tires, I assumed these would die at the first road defect along with me. However these to have proved to be pretty robust, some of the roads I am on really test them.

Road bikes looked flimsy and easily broken to me, however they seem to work pretty well on the 'roads' funnily enough considering thats what there designed for.

p.s. thanks for all positive feedback

Good Job Lonerider,

I'm thinking about doing something similar myself to my Sirrus and making it a better winter bike for club runs.

Having said that my work are starting the cycle to work scheme in October and I might be tempted to get a new bike although, where do I put it :wacko:.

I've not had a serious look yet but I'm considering a SCR or Spesh Tricross.

OP
OP
Lonerider

Lonerider

HLaB said:
Good Job Lonerider,

I'm thinking about doing something similar myself to my Sirrus and making it a better winter bike for club runs.

Having said that my work are starting the cycle to work scheme in October and I might be tempted to get a new bike although, where do I put it :ohmy:.

I've not had a serious look yet but I'm considering a SCR or Spesh Tricross.

I had the same urge to buy something. Seemed like a good excuse for a treat. But whilst browsing some £800 - £1000 bikes I came across the Sirrus and it looked good. I thought 'I already have a nice bike', sure the Cannondale CAAD rrp £999 that I test rode was Shimmano 105 equiped and a few pounds lighter, but purchasing it would have made me a few hundred pounds lighter.

The performance of the Cannondale CAAD over my Sirrus did not blow me away, not enough to say I really want it and it's worth the extra dosh. I probably would have thought 'that was a waste' and then felt sorry for my trusty Sirrus getting sidelined. Furthermore I also have little space for storage and would have had to sell the Sirrus and probably would not have got a lot for it second hand.

So converting it met my need to have a racing styled bike and saved me a fortune from buying a new bike and selling the Sirrus for next to nothing.

The two bikes you are considering are quality bikes, and if you took the plunge I would totaly understand, the urge to get a new bike is something which lingers not too far from me most of the time.:smile:

Maz

Guru
Nice job. I have a Sirrus Elite, too. Your finished bike looks like an Allez now. I think I'd be way out of my depths doing a conversion, but would love to have a road bike.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I changed the pedals around 2 months ago along with the tyres which were 28c before - now 23c for improved rolling resistance, My average speed went from low 14s to mid 15s in MPH.

Again I was fearfull of being attached to the pedals, however having took the plunge it's been a cycling revolution for me (exuse the unintended play on words). I haven't had a clipless moment (yet) and am really confident in them. In terms of difficulty of use out of ten - ten being the hardest to operate I would have initailly rated them on first use as 2/10 for difficulty, now 0/10.

I'm glad you've taken the plunge and are happy, feet locked firmly to the pedals has to be the way to ride a bike.

Have fun

Giles

ohCoy

I'm converting my Sirrus too..

Thanks for posting this very helpful information - I really appreciate it!! I have the same bike & love it & it meets all my needs...except for the flat handlebar. I just can not get used to it regardless of what I do. I've tried different stems, different seat placement, angles etc & have finally gotten to be 75% OK with it - which is not good enough for me.

So I said the heck with it & decided on changing the handlebar to what I really want & began research a few months ago. Like you, I ran across much convoluted & contradictory information & was about to give up. Thankfully I tried once more & hit upon the magic Google word combination & your entry popped up.

The information is exactly what I needed & I am in process of getting the components now. The cost is roughly the same as you reported. Once I have everything, I'll be praying for bad weather (won't have to wait long in Ohio) so I can get off the bike & begin surgery.
I'll post again later with the results. Again , thanks for taking the time to share!!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Downward said:
Can this be done on any Hybrids ?

With the increasing costs of Entry level Road bikes there must be a cheaper option ?

It can but whether it is worth it on some of the heaver entry level Hybrids is debatable...

Top Bottom