FNRttC Flemish Night Ride to the Kust 2017 (CLOSED)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No, you can take a whole bike. You book your ticket and then phone Eurodespatch. You can even chance it, and take the walk up service with the risk that it goes on a different train.

Adrian's nailed it. You can't book a bike space online, must do it on the phone.

Cheers Guys.
Why do they have to make these things so difficult for people?

mmmmartin

Random geezer
f you want to come then please put your name down and we'll try to ensure everyone is happy, even if there is more than the limit.

This is one of the very best rides we do, up there with York-Hull. It's a bit longer than our usual distance, but the highest point is a railway bridge.

It is impossible to describe in words the experience of riding in the dark along a perfect tarmac road with no traffic at all, alongside a canal with wisps of mist rising from the water, all silent and magical. And we might even see kangaroos. (True, dat.)

The words "I have a cunning plan" are marching inexorably towards this conversation.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
we might even see kangaroos. (True, dat.)
17328689840_ba63069699.jpg

Ha! Thought I was joking did ya?

mmmmartin

Random geezer
f you want to come then please put your name down and we'll try to ensure everyone is happy, even if there is more than the limit.
There are likely to be others who want to come: so let us know. Last time we had some riders who did it, loved it and said they'd sign up again -
  • @wanda2010
  • @redfalo
  • @srw
  • @rvw
  • Salvatore NOTP (I have emailed him.)
  • @Gordon P
  • @BalkanExpress
  • @ianmac62 wanted to come but footie intervened last year, he might want to come.
  • And on last year's thread there is written evidence that we invited Eldest Son of the family to ride with us. So he's coming if he wants. We've given our word.
herewith Els' superb blog after last year@s:
http://bikesandbees.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/fnrttkust-2016.html

and her excellent pix:
https://get.google.com/albumarchive...WzyZL2s5dCcWoxgoVvcSiOTB3hOeZ-Z119?source=pwa

mmmmartin

Random geezer
That is a Wallaby. Purists are going to be disappointed
:blush:

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
The Eurostar looks a complete mare and so confusing for taking bikes :cursing:
Not at all. For the way back, don't bother to book bike spaces. Just rock up at the station, go to Euro despatch and ask them to put the bike on the next available train. Do this 2 hours or so before your departure, and there is a 99pct chance the bike will be in London before you. This option costs 25 quid and is five pounds cheaper than the pre-booked version. For the way out, you want to have 100% certainty the bike is there when you need it. Chose a train you want to travel on, and go through the booking online until the final click. Call Eurodespatch and ask them if there are bike spaces on that particular train. While on the phone, do the final click of your train booking, and then book the bike space over the phone (you need the ticket booking reference to book a bike space). This all refers to fully assembled bikes. I would not bother using one of their free bike boxes, where you have to remove wheels, handlebar and so on.

BTW I cannot do the ride next year, as I'll be otherwise engaged on that weekend.

Edit: info and number here.
http://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-info/travel-planning/luggage/bikes

What I'm talking about is this:
"If you’d prefer to keep your bike fully assembled, EuroDespatch has a limited number of spaces per train, so you’ll need to call us for availability.

For the way out: Book in advance (bike travels on your train): £30
for the return trip: Book on the day (bike travels on the first available train): £25"

Last edited:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Forgot to say this is eminently suitable for clown bikes: several have used them. It's flat and decent tarmac all the way. Apart from the cobbles, that is. You could hire one from Saturday morning until Sunday evening, take it with you and chuck it back into its holder on Sunday when you get back to London.
https://www.bromptonbikehire.com/

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'd love to do this again, but we've got the same problem as usual on May Day Bank Holiday - my main annual work awayday is the week before that holiday, and the activities usually keep going until the Saturday. Last year we finished early and stayed in the UK, so it was (in theory) easy to get to Brussels in time. Next year we're likely to go abroad, so unless it's within very easy reach of Brussels it'll be a challenge. And then there's the slight matter of getting bike fit, made rather more difficult by being ill now!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Not at all. For the way back, don't bother to book bike spaces. Just rock up at the station, go to Euro despatch and ask them to put the bike on the next available train. Do this 2 hours or so before your departure, and there is a 99pct chance the bike will be in London before you. This option costs 25 quid and is five pounds cheaper than the pre-booked version. For the way out, you want to have 100% certainty the bike is there when you need it. Chose a train you want to travel on, and go through the booking online until the final click. Call Eurodespatch and ask them if there are bike spaces on that particular train. While on the phone, do the final click of your train booking, and then book the bike space over the phone (you need the ticket booking reference to book a bike space). This all refers to fully assembled bikes. I would not bother using one of their free bike boxes, where you have to remove wheels, handlebar and so on.

BTW I cannot do the ride next year, as I'll be otherwise engaged on that weekend.

Edit: info and number here.
http://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-info/travel-planning/luggage/bikes

What I'm talking about is this:
"If you’d prefer to keep your bike fully assembled, EuroDespatch has a limited number of spaces per train, so you’ll need to call us for availability.

For the way out: Book in advance (bike travels on your train): £30
for the return trip: Book on the day (bike travels on the first available train): £25"

For those of us that have never used the service, It is very confusing. But thanks for your information. Very helpful.
My plan is to get the Eurostar out, do the ride, then ride to Calais and get the ferry back.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
For those of us that have never used the service, It is very confusing. But thanks for your information. Very helpful.
My plan is to get the Eurostar out, do the ride, then ride to Calais and get the ferry back.
Keep in mind that the ferry plus a train back to London is most probably more expensive than the Eurostar, booked early. And it takes f***** ages. Taking a local train back to Brussels and then hop on the Eurostar is better option, IMHO. Or ride to Brussels or Lille.

Top Bottom