FNRttC Flemish Night Ride to the Kust 2017 (CLOSED)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Keep in mind that the ferry plus a train back to London is most probably more expensive than the Eurostar, booked early. And it takes f***** ages. Taking a local train back to Brussels and then hop on the Eurostar is better option, IMHO. Or ride to Brussels or Lille.

I like ferries and I can get a train from Dover direct to Orpington. No need to go into London.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I like ferries
So do I, they're my favourite method of transport (apart from a bike, obvs). There's something magical about riding on to, or off, a ferry. Even if it's a tiddly little thing across a small stream. Honest.
But the ferry from Dunkirk saves 30k of riding. Just sayin'.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Good point @ianrauk also Calais has loads of ferries, several every hour and when I rocked up without a ticket once it was only €15 to get on the next boat out. Also it's flat land around there and you might now be able to come through what used to be the The Jungle, but if you can't cos the roads are still littered with rubbish you might have to go south of the autoroute then turn north into the port area.

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
I'd like to be In, especially if it's the Last One. But I have absolutely no idea what competing demands there may be that weekend & it's far too far away in time and space to get my head round.
So can you put me on the definitely interested waiting list please?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That wonderful geezer @Trickedem has booked us tickets for the Eurostar including taking our bikes on the same train.

Nice one.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
The Eurodespatch guy is very helpful. Confirmed they had two spaces then stayed on the line whilst I booked the Eurostar tickets. I asked if this process was ever going to be automated and he said he hoped not, or he'd be out of a job.
Yup, nice blokes there. Still haven't got round to buying my return yet- I'll probably head back on Monday.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Return all booked up. I think EuroDespatch must have borrowed some casuals from Royal Mail...sent an email query about bike space availability on 1 May and got a standard reply which didn't answer the question, then the guy I got on the phone seemed not to understand I wanted to know there was a bike space before I bought a ticket…anyway, got there in the end. 1452 from Brussels booked, with fully assembled bike. Standard Premier (standard fares started at £80, so I thought might as well...). Hotel Albert II (a very short ride from Patisserie Caruso) booked for Sunday night.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I may want to meander around Ghent later on the Sunday.
There'll be time for that on The Tour in July - we start from Ostend on the Monday and long lunch in Bruges then go to Ghent. Whole day is about 70k. Should be in Ghent about 5pm, plenty of time for a potter round Ghent on the bikes.

Top Bottom