flipping stem frustration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

Ok so i flipped the stem of my new hybrid but now the front wheel rim rubs the brake pad. Looks like the brake cable is quite severely angled . The shop reckons the outer cable would need shortening and then could be too short later if i wanted to flip back up or change stems.

How frustrating!! I thought bikes were easier than this, i mean people must fark around with their cockpits all the time, right?

Any advice?

Stu

Norm

Outers only cost a couple of quid, if it does need doing, although I'd be surprised if flipping the stem moved the bars that much. What bike is it?

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

Cannondale quick... The stem when flipped is parallel to the ground, its prob a 15 degree stem. Be a shame if i had to get new outer as the stock ones are silver colour coordinated!

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

Pic

Attachments

• IMAG0930.jpg
    IMAG0930.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 140

Norm

Nice bike. :thumbsup:

The angle that the cable goes into the brakes does look extreme, but then it looks like your levers are angled down quite a bit.

It looks like there is enough spare there to move the brake lever up by about 10cm, and you certainly wouldn't get that sort of change from flipping the stem.

Did you take pix before making the change? Have you got the cable routed the same way that it was previously? It's not clear from the pic but it doesn't look like the noodle is located properly.

Finally, have you tried adjusting the tension in the brakes? My kids' bikes have V brakes and I have needed to adjust them fairly regularly.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Outers only cost a couple of quid, if it does need doing, although I'd be surprised if flipping the stem moved the bars that much. What bike is it?
It's surprising how much difference it makes. I flip the stems on my bikes and I wouldn't bother if the effect was subtle, since I prefer the look of an unflipped stem. Flipping not only raises the bars, it also brings them back slightly.

Here's a ColinJ-eye view of a front-end with a flipped stem. You can see that there was only just enough length in the front brake cable to manage it. In fact, I had to put a small cut in the bar tape to gain an extra few mm for the cable.

camera-bag.jpg

(In case any of you are wondering - the bag attached to the stem is for carrying my digital camera on rides. I like to be able to stop and get the camera out quickly if I spot something I want to snap. It is equally handy for carrying a phone. If any of you like this idea, you can get similar bags very cheap at 7DayShop. I don't trust the velcro strap so I secured it with a plastic cable tie.)

Norm

It's surprising how much difference it makes. I flip the stems on my bikes and I wouldn't bother if the effect was subtle, since I prefer the look of an unflipped stem. Flipping not only raises the bars, it also brings them back slightly.
Not surprising to me, I've done the same on my Secteur and posted the benefits a few times.

However, looking at the subsequent picture, there is a lot of slack cable there so I think some of the issue is the way that the LBS has set up the bike. I'd guess there would be at least 20cm more cable on cyclists' bike than on yours.

ColinJ

Not surprising to me, I've done the same on my Secteur and posted the benefits a few times.

However, looking at the subsequent picture, there is a lot of slack cable there so I think some of the issue is the way that the LBS has set up the bike. I'd guess there would be at least 20cm more cable on cyclists' bike than on yours.
Ah, but Stu's bike has v-brakes so the cable has to come in from the side, whereas mine are conventional dual-pivot callipers with cable entry from the top. I could really do with a couple of cm more cable length.

Hmm. I've just put Stu's picture in a photo-editor and blown it up. I think you could be right about the 'noodle' not being located properly.

The stem in the picture is now unflipped. Stu writes about it being parallel to the ground and possibly flipping it back up in the future so it seems to have started off pre-flipped!

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

Lol no, its default setting is on the rise. I fliped it so it was flat. Dont know what noodle rfers to!

At any rate, another crap job by a bike shop. I discovered the brake pads were too high on one side, too low the other. One side was stroking the tyre, the other was braking onto the wheel not the rim.

Think ive fixed it! Thanks all...

Stu

Ps stem flipped down to lower the front end so sportifying the ride.

ColinJ

Lol no, its default setting is on the rise. I fliped it so it was flat. Dont know what noodle rfers to!

At any rate, another crap job by a bike shop. I discovered the brake pads were too high on one side, too low the other. One side was stroking the tyre, the other was braking onto the wheel not the rim.

Think ive fixed it! Thanks all...

Stu

Ps stem flipped down to lower the front end so sportifying the ride.
Glad you've fixed it!

You can see the way a v-brake should look (and what the noodle is!) here.

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

Can you not change the positioning of the cable outer so instead of hanging loose at the back it lies tighter in behind the other cables that would help the v brake alignment.

I can confirm that I am able to not change the positioning of the cable outer. I am also able to change it. lol

Stu

Adam Herne

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and to the world of more serious cycling since I had my £100 Halfords sprecial nicked and decided to spend £600 on the same bike pictured but the dark grey 2012 model. I'm interested in this particular post because I'd like to adopt a more aggressive position on the bike as I am finding the longer rides (10-15 miles at present) becomes uncomfortable on my wrists. I love the bike and it is great to go out with the family and have my two year old in his seat on the back..... it's just the long stuff. Already looking at a road bike, but don't have the £1600 to get an entry carbon.

Is switching the stem easy or something I would need to go back to my dealer for? Also, can the handlbars be switched so the 25mm rise becomes a 25mm fall?? I'm guessing it would make the bike look a bit daft??

Also, one more, did the bars on each end of the handlebars come seperately?? I don't have these on mine and wondered if this would help for a bit of extra reach.

Top Bottom