Flood chaos...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lady_rider

There are currently only two routes out of my village at the moment due to the floods. One is about 15 miles out of the way by car with loads of built up traffic, the other is reasonably direct by bicycle :wacko: A couple of funny moments this morning;

First, lying in bed and hearing a car drive past WAY too fast through the village.. VROOOOOMMMMMMM... followed very quickly by SPLASH as he drove at high speed into the flood water ;)

The next; I went for a walk to take some photos, and was on the way back when who drove past me... but an idiot driver I had an aggressive run-in with a couple of months back. I carried out walking, waiting... waiting... then had the satisfaction of seeing him pass me again in the other direction, at speed so obviously pi**ed off, having been thwarted by the water. I knew he had a long, stressful, traffic-filled detour drive ahead of him. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

The first two pics are of the two main routes out of my village, and the third is taken from my front door this morning.

Yikes! Looks like you are close to the flooding. Do you ever get flooded yourself?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Where are all the people in pic 3? Our street would be full of retired local residents trying to sort the drainage, the same ones who clear the snow off the pavement the minute it falls!

OP
OP
L

lady_rider

I'm renting at the moment (the 'to let' sign is outside my house; good luck to them trying to get it rented out at the moment!) and am moving in a week anyway so I'm not that worried. It's a fairly regular thing, up to these levels maybe once a year. The village is full of excited people who can't get to work... or at least, can't be bothered with the hassled commute, so have the day off.

Flooded roads is one thing. Flooded houses quite another. I take it you escaped that trauma, LR! Never experienced it myself but I've seen the aftermath, a horrible experience which I wouldn't wish upon anyone. If anyone on here is from Cumbria or any of the affected areas and got flooded out, they have my utmost sympathy.

Even here in Sussex, as far away from Cumbria as you can get, in England, we haven't escaped some of the effects. On last Sunday's short spin, I had to navigate a flood under a railway bridge that came almost to my hubs. But that was just a road flood, I didn't see any signs of household flooding, not where I was. A different story a few miles to the east apparently, in the village of Alfriston for example. It was on the news that it too was cut off by floods. Last time I was there, a few months ago, the river Cuckmere which flows through the village was little more than a trickle between its banks.

We went through it 2 years ago in Gloucestershire. It was something else and I and my inlaws were very glad I had the 4x4 as I was the only one they knew with a vehicle which could go into the road to get their valuables out when the floods hit.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
very-near said:
We went through it 2 years ago in Gloucestershire. It was something else and I and my inlaws were very glad I had the 4x4 as I was the only one they knew with a vehicle which could go into the road to get their valuables out when the floods hit.

See if you can get the fact that you've got a 4x4 in my squirrel thread!

Go on, give it a go;)

rich p said:
See if you can get the fact that you've got a 4x4 in my squirrel thread!

Go on, give it a go;)

Such is the usefulness of these utility vehicles, I think everyone should have one :biggrin:

How about ''4x4's make a good platform when squirrel stalking' :blush:

Norm

very-near said:
How about ''4x4's make a good platform when squirrel stalking' :blush:
Damned right they do!

umm... allegedly. :biggrin:

Having a 4x4 helps (obviously) when the tarmac disappears but experience and training driving in those conditions is just as important. Many cars (certain Renaults aside) can wade in fairly deep water, knowing how to do it can get a car through water which could just as easily strand a badly-driven 4x4.

I've retreived a Police Land Rover from floods before now. :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
This is what you need:

DSC_2416-1.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
That's not Naburn is it Lady Rider? Doesn't look quite like it, but a little bit...

We went out to Seaton Ross last night, drove via the A19 in case the Elvington road was under water - by the look of the river as we crossed it at Bubwith, it might well have been. Got back ok, although I gather our route back in along the Fulford Road was closed by about 3 hours later - mainly at the bit of scrub land that's had an "Acquired by Hoggs for development" sign on it for about 4 years. I'd love to know which pillock invested in that land, since it's underwater several times every year.

I have to admit to taking to the pavement for a few yards last night (on my bike) to avoid the flooded bit of Skeldergate - the pavement was still flooded, but shallow enough for me to be happy riding though - not much chance of endangering a pedestrian, unless they were wearing wellies...

rh100

Norm said:
Damned right they do!

umm... allegedly. :laugh:

Having a 4x4 helps (obviously) when the tarmac disappears but experience and training driving in those conditions is just as important. Many cars (certain Renaults aside) can wade in fairly deep water, knowing how to do it can get a car through water which could just as easily strand a badly-driven 4x4.

I've retreived a Police Land Rover from floods before now. :sad:

We got rained off a camping trip several years ago, on the way home we diverted through the cotswolds as the motorway was at a standstill, I was taking a VW Polo through floods which had stalled some 4x4's and some of them were turning back. A very difficult journey with lots of diversions and getting lost. The car made some very strange noises the next day, but I've always respected the VW's since - the thing was bomb proof.

Top Bottom