FNRttC FNRttC 7th August to Felpham near Bognor Regis 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
FNRttC 7th August to Felpham near Bognor Regis

this could be a classic. We've yet to fix a small section of the route, but it looks as if it will be about 70 miles - fractionally longer than Shoreham or Whitstable - flattish and very, very pretty. There will be an off-road section, on which more later.

From HPC we'll go down to Tooting Broadway, but, where we would normally turn left, we'll continue on to South Wimbledon, and then take the A24 all the way to Dorking and a little beyond before glancing off to the left for Henfold, Newdigate, Rusper and Faygate where the Cabin Cafe will open its doors at a little after three in the morning.

We'll then head west on the A264 for a mile or so before turning south through Horsham (which is not so bad) and then Tower Hill, Christ's Hospital, and then down one of the finest cycling roads I've the pleasure of knowing
DSC00163.jpg

to Coolham before taking a right at Pickety Cottages.
DSC00164.jpg

We then wind our way down to Amberley and then a sweet little byway to North Stoke
DSC00178.jpg

where it gets interesting.....

We may take the newly re-constructed pedestrian footbridge to North Stoke, but, if it's fine, we'll go cross the downs by way of a chalk path to Burpham. Some of us will ride the chalk path, and some of us will walk it, but I don't think any of us will be disappointed. Vaughan Williams meets Salvator Rosa would be a fair summary.

And then, after crossing the A27 we have ten miles of dead flat road to the town described by none other than Flying Monkey as 'God's Waiting Room' - Felpham. For the hydrangea lovers amongst us this will be a special treat, but those of you who prize sellaonia cortaderia above all other grasses should bring your cameras.

I'll not describe the end of the ride, other than.....
DSC00174.jpg

and to thank Jasper the Surrea for his help in finding our destination cafe - indeed, it was Jasper's enthusiam for Bognor that first set us on our way.

So, I've some early bird registrations, which are ....

Katsura I
Kadu G G
Graham H
Origamist
Rich P
Stuart A

I've still got to discuss numbers with the Cabin Cafe, and, as ever, I'll be leaning on User10571 for advice, but, provided the Cabin can cope, I reckon that we could take seventy or eighty. My advice is......get in now. Barring rubbish weather this is going to be good.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Looks great - email sent.

BTW, where were you heading yesterday - Mitcham Road, 11.00, a couple of whippets in tow, sporting Team GB jerseys...

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Damn Damn Damn Damn DAMN!!

Why do my drinking dates always clash with the FnrttC!!

Am at the London Beer fest Saturday the 8th, been planned for a while now and theres no way I can manage a night ride and an all dayer on the lash the next day!! POOP!!

Unless it cancels, and I doubt it, am going to have to count myself out! Sorry!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Registration request just sent off. For those of the cycling back disposition, any one who fancies a trip via southeast 'ampshire is welcome to tag along with me part of the way. I will be riding home to Pompey (25 miles or so from Felpham) via Chichester and the western bit of the A259, another fine cycling road. It's also my birthday on the 8th. Is it the done thing to bring cake (bearing in mind neither bike has panniers and I can't take too much in my rucksack)?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
even though the peleton will pass less than 50m from my front door as it goes past the station in Horsham (which is not so bad) I must, with heavy heart, decline. I shall be abed in North Cornwall on my hols after dining at one of Rick Stein's finest. By way of compensation I'll be cycling the 100+km from Exeter to our rented cottage the day before, in company with some good west country folk from the ctc forum.

Enjoy yourselves folks and take lots of pics to make me jealous.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
StuAff said:
Registration request just sent off. For those of the cycling back disposition, any one who fancies a trip via southeast 'ampshire is welcome to tag along with me part of the way. I will be riding home to Pompey (25 miles or so from Felpham) via Chichester and the western bit of the A259, another fine cycling road. It's also my birthday on the 8th. Is it the done thing to bring cake (bearing in mind neither bike has panniers and I can't take too much in my rucksack)?

Might one suggest that a small amount of negotiation with the halfway cafe stop could see provision of cake, candles, the works. I reckon a rendition of happy birthday could lift all spirits nicely for the second leg:biggrin:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
MacBludgeon said:
Might one suggest that a small amount of negotiation with the halfway cafe stop could see provision of cake, candles, the works. I reckon a rendition of happy birthday could lift all spirits nicely for the second leg:biggrin:
I'll have a word. For those of you who missed last year's inaugural ride to Whitstable, we have done this before.....

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
dellzeqq said:
I'll have a word. For those of you who missed last year's inaugural ride to Whitstable, we have done this before.....

Thanks gents. I might look at bringing something myself anyway (it won't go to waste....).

ChrisKH

Guru
Looks great. Regrettably, I'm flying to America on the 8th to take part in the FNrttc "Orlando to Cape Canaveral" with breakfast and a dip at Cocoa Beach so must decline. ;)

mike e

mike e 100% definate for this one, need to work out my timings as no rail travel will be utilised, possible application for northern branch membership of the Mouseketeers as well !!!!

Wigsie

Nincompoop
mike e said:
mike e 100% definate for this one, need to work out my timings as no rail travel will be utilised, possible application for northern branch membership of the Mouseketeers as well !!!!

Your going to ride back to Hull? ;)

I would like to be a maybe Dell, sorry for the indecisiveness... It's 2 days before I don't see the kids for a month so may have to launch a special campaign with the Mrs and get some serious groundwork in over the next week or so.

StuAff said:

Have cakes delivered to the relevant destinations Stu - or buy a CTC 'tank' and cart the goodies around, Tim O style.:sad:

I would like to come on this ride please. Always happy to help scratch any technical 'itches too. I'm trying to catch up on Friday 22:30 and onwards - I'm in 'word debt'.;)

Edit. I spend a minute typing this out and the page has been blitzed with advice on how to give us cake already. :laugh:

Andrij

Über Member
Uh-oh. That Friday is our works outing to the GBBF. The evil specrtre of 'moderation' raises its ugly head...

Please, Sir, may I join the ride?

Top Bottom