FNRttC FNRttC to Newhaven, Dieppe and Paris 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
There have been a lot of enquiries about the NEWHAVEN/DIEPPE/PARIS trip.

This is the skinny. We’ll leave Hyde Park Corner at midnight on Thursday 21[sup]st[/sup] July and stop for tea and biccies at an anonymous international airport somewhere in Sussex. We then go on via Turners Hill, Ardingly, Slugwash Lane and down some delightful back roads to Lewes, before running down the western side of the Ouse to the 'scenic' port of Newhaven. Some people will catch the train home from Newhaven and some will take the 9.00 ferry to Dieppe. Some of the Dieppsters will stay in town for a day or two (there’s a marvellous market on Saturday morning) and return by ferry, but others will go on to Paris, where a ride even more famous than the FNRttC will finish on Sunday the 24[sup]th[/sup].

Now - I want you to pay close attention to the following.....

Returning from Paris. You can catch a slow train to Dieppe, changing at Rouen, and take the ferry back. Simples

Or you might want to take the Eurostar back. And bring your bike.

Rail Europe cannot sell you a ticket for the bike. Eurostar cannot sell you a ticket for the bike. They can only sell you the same tickets as Rail Europe at two and a half times the price. Only EuroDirecte, which is part of Eurostar can sell you a ticket for the bike - for £30. EuroDirecte will only sell you a ticket for the bike if you already have a ticket for yourself. So you have to buy a (presumably non-refundable) ticket for yourself before you buy the ticket for the bike unless you employ..................... The Dellzeqq Method.

1. Choose your train, and pick a reserve train or two (just think of it as AV for trains).
2. Call EuroDirecte on 08448225822 and ask them if the bike spaces are taken. There are eight spaces on each train. Susie and I are on the 10.13am (train 9019) from Paris to London on 24th July
3. Then go to Rail Europe at 1 Regent Street - it's hidden in the British Tourist Office. Be prepared to wait forty minutes.
4. Book the ticket, get the six letter reservation code, but do not hand over your debit card.
5. Call EuroDirecte again from the Rail Europe desk and book the bike space over the phone. My advice is to tell them not to e-mail the tickets to you - go and collect them afterwards. They're not too hot on the letters and numbers thing, and you won't get their fancy labels.
6. Complete your purchase at Rail Europe and toddle over to EuroDirecte which is at the arse end of St. Pancras Station. Pick up tickets, check details on confirmation slip (they will be wrong) and ask for fancy labels.

I've missed out steps a, b, c, and d which involve being told a load of nonsense and shuffling round central London for half a day.....I've had more fun checking out Tesco's toilets.

The next best thing is to check with Euro Directe, book on the Rail Europe website and call back EuroDirecte as soon as the website gives you your six letter code.

There are some further complications.

You have to deliver your pride and joy to an outfit that is either called Sernam or Geopart at the southwest corner of the Gare du Nord on the Rue de Dunkerque. You have to deliver it at least 90 minutes before the departure time. The Sernam/Geopart office should open at seven in the morning, but may not open until half past seven. This means that you will be cutting it fine if you have a ticket for the 9.13 train. The boys at EuroDirecte, who, it must be said, relished their pivotal role in these matters, a role made even more pivotal by the ignorance of the people at Eurostar and Rail Europe, advised against the 9.13.

Eurostar only offer £100 insurance. On a £30 ticket that's pretty crap.

frank9755

Cyclist
I'd like to come!

Are you riding to Paris or getting a train?

Frank

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
we're riding to Paris. We intend to go about 25 miles south of Dieppe on the Friday, and then stop for the night. We'd then cycle the rest of the way on Saturday.

StuartG

slower but further
Put me down for the ride & Paris please Simon.

Sounds like cycling back to Dieppe may be easier than your Tour de Londres wheeze
wink.gif

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Sounds fun. I see the ferry is only £35 at the moment. I'd have to get the 5am Saturday ferry back from Dieppe cos I'm working in the evening, which would mean missing the market, but I assume there's the possibility of a few beers on the Friday? Tell me about Dieppe - I've never been...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Ignore me - just clocked the "25 miles south" thang. That makes it a bit tight...

frank9755

Cyclist
Sounds fun. I see the ferry is only £35 at the moment. I'd have to get the 5am Saturday ferry back from Dieppe cos I'm working in the evening, which would mean missing the market, but I assume there's the possibility of a few beers on the Friday? Tell me about Dieppe - I've never been...

I've been but only at 4am getting off the ferry and riding through it. It seemed quite pleasant in a cold, damp, dark, deserted kind of way. I'm curious to see what it's like when there are other people there!

I admit, I'm very tempted. But then sometimes my eyes are bigger than my stomach...!
When's the latest you'd want confirmation of interest?
Do we book our own accommodation?
Might be asking you/Susie for more info on next Friday's ride, if that's okay.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Dieppe has its moments. The town centre around the old harbour, and the main square are sweet. The network of small streets between the main square and the beach is nice. The hotels along the front are set behind a wide green, and are nice in a kind of bourgeois way. There's a ladies hairdresser of the old school, but if I showed you the pic of a French blowdry job I'd be sleeping on a bench.

The market on Saturday morning is good, but the greatest pleasure is sitting in cafes and sipping red wine.

Fiona N

Veteran

unless you employ..................... The Dellzeqq Method.

1. Choose your train, and pick a reserve train or two (just think of it as AV for trains).
2. Call EuroDirecte on 08448225822 and ask them if the bike spaces are taken. There are eight spaces on each train. Susie and I are on the 10.13am (train 9019) from Paris to London on 24th July
3. Then go to Rail Europe at 1 Regent Street - it's hidden in the British Tourist Office. Be prepared to wait forty minutes.
4. Book the ticket, get the six letter reservation code, but do not hand over your debit card.
5. Call EuroDirecte again from the Rail Europe desk and book the bike space over the phone. My advice is to tell them not to e-mail the tickets to you - go and collect them afterwards. They're not too hot on the letters and numbers thing, and you won't get their fancy labels.
6. Complete your purchase at Rail Europe and toddle over to EuroDirecte which is at the arse end of St. Pancras Station. Pick up tickets, check details on confirmation slip (they will be wrong) and ask for fancy labels.

Blimey - it does rather restrict things to London-dwellers, doesn't it :angry:

Top Bottom