Folder advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazyfatgit

I'm proposing to get a folder to do a bike/train commute as i don't think I would be up for 18 miles each way every day.

Should I get a Brompton for it's compact size, or would one of the 20" wheel folders eg Dawes Ace be more useable over longer distances?

I'll be travelling on Scotrail on a train without cycle provision, therfore i'm not able to get a full size bike on a rush hour train.

any advice welcome

montage

God Almighty
My dad has a Brompton, and I have ridden it a few times. I can only recommend, really fun bike to be on, surprisingly effective for its small wheels and limited gears, and a piece of engineering brilliance.

purplepolly

Depends on how busy the train is, how much luggage space there is, how far you're cycling and how bad the road surface is.

This last is important, bromptons are all very nice but I wouldn't fancy my chances on 16" wheels with a hinged rear wheel in the potholes on my commute. Some of them rock the double deckers.

Also how much do you want to pay? If it doesn't have to be the smallest package in the world, there are a lot of cheaper options out there.

trsleigh

Another Brompton vote.:smile: When I got mine I thought I'd just use it for occasional train journeys. It has since become my default bike, inc commute to & from central London ( 18 miles round trip ) potholes & all.
Another reason is that there is far less faffing & worry about theft or malicious damage. I never carry a lock and simply take it with me everywhere.

Alves

Brompton again, rides well for a small-wheeled folder (I've tried a few other, they don't compare) and folds very easily. It copes well with potholes but doesn't like deep gravel but then most other full size bikes don't either.
Your main decisions should be which version and how many gears but that's another post!

Cranky

Another satisfied Brompton owner here. The ease of folding and unfolding, combined with the compact size, makes it a doddle to use with public transport and I also find it comfortable and fun to ride. I only have the three speed but it's more than enough for where I live (not too hilly).

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
FWIW, the Mezzo is well reviewed, and has a fold only slightly larger than the Brompton.

I'm hoping to test ride both at some point.

biking_fox

Guru
Depends on how strong you are and how much carrying of the folded bike you'll have to do, and how much luggage you'll have with you.

IIRC the brompton requires that you remove paniers etc befroe folding, and that it isn't really practical to wheel it whilst folded. Other manufacturers circumvent these problems but introduce other weaknesses instead.

trsleigh

biking_fox said:
Depends on how strong you are and how much carrying of the folded bike you'll have to do, and how much luggage you'll have with you.

The beauty of the Brompton quick fold / unfold, is that it's so quick & easy that there is very little need to carry it folded.

biking_fox said:
IIRC the brompton requires that you remove paniers etc befroe folding, and that it isn't really practical to wheel it whilst folded.

The front carrier block is brilliantly quick & simple to fit or remove the bag.

Quite the contrary, I often semi fold mine & use it as a shopping trolley in supermarkets, with the supermarket basket balanced on top of the touring bag.

ChrisKH

Guru
Brompton most definitely for the fold. If your train company allows a bigger folder you could opt for one of the full sized Dahon folders which I also have. Personally I tend to use the Brompton for anything under ten miles and use the Dahon for anything over ten miles. Although the Brompton can adequately do 18 miles, I would have to think hard about using it regularly for that distance. This might change if i had the expensive lightweight frame (which I've asked as a present for my 50th :smile:).

I find the standard configuration on Brompton's undergeared (or is it overgeared?) in that I'm always looking for another gear up. So I changed the rear cogs and drive crankset and it suits me perfectly. You should consider this aspect if buying from new, or even if not. It's a relatively cheap upgrade and makes a real difference. This change may be unnecessary if you live in a hilly area.

Birdy's come with a good reputation as well. But as with the Brompton, the cost can be prohibitive. I wouldn't choose another folder over a Brompton for small differences in wheel size (e.g. Dawes Ace) unless the folder was a full sized wheel (i.e. 26" or thereabouts) tbh. The difference would be minimal.

Pottsy

I know this is no help but I've always wanted a flat-bar Brompton with the titanium bits on it :biggrin:

Problem is I have no use for one at all and they cost a grand! ;)

Top Bottom