Folding Bikes question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robthetrumpet

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a folding bike. I've been trialling a Brompton borrowed from a friend and while it is a great design to be honest it is a bit small for me and the 20" wheel Dahons I find much easier being closer in ride to a normal bike. My question is: I have seen on a lot of sites mentioned that Dahon make a lot of bikes which are basically the same but re-badged with a different name but a lot cheaper.
Also does anyone know the quality of the bikes on the bicycles4u.com webpage - are they similar to Dahon or is there a big difference in quality (As there is in price)

Any advice gratefully received!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
you will regret not getting a brommie

What do you mean by "small"?

The Brompton can be adapted, and with an extended seatpost, and one of the handlebar options should solve your issues. I am 6' 2" and am quite happy with my S6

Velorum

I have owned a number of Brompton's over the past 13 years and still have my first one - a red L3. I also own a Dahon Vitesse 7.

My personal view is that the Dahon is livelier and 'feels' more like a full size bike. The Brompton must be the best design folder and is great for taking on the tube / train. Now that Schwalbe tyres are available instead of the Raleigh ones that you were stuck with at one time the ride is quite acceptable. Bar ends help.

The Dahon was relatively cheap and good value but I doubt its long term longevity. Not a problem if useage is going to be low to moderate.

The Brompton may be better value in the long run as its better built and has higher resale value.

If I was going to have only one folder then it would be a Brompton.

Hilldodger said:
I too find them cramped and uncomfortable and I hate the small wheels.

If that profile pic is your normal ride I'm not surprised! :bicycle:

You get used to the small wheels, if it's the ride feel you're talking about. Not sure about the cramped and uncomfortable though - I'm only little but my husband does fine on his.... Which ones have you ridden? (M bars, S bars - and with the longer seatpost?)

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I doubt those bicycles4u.com bikes are re-badged Dahons because they are too cheap. I'd be a bit suspicious the components are not up to much on those bikes.

There is an article in this month's Cycling Plus magazine on folding bikes. I suspect a lot of the Dahons ride better than Bromptons, but they don't fold up as well. Bromptons fold up with the chain wheel enclosed in the middle, so you're less likely to get oil on your clothes. I suspect Brommies are a bit heavier than Dahons due to the steel tubing, but they are well balanced when folded up.

If you live anywhere near Bath then the Avon Valley Cyclery around the back of the railway station has a range of fold-ups. Otherwise, you may get the chance to try a few at the Cycle Show in London at Earl's Court next week end.

Also check out
http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/
http://www.foldingbikes.co.uk/

purplepolly

Yellow Fang said:
I doubt those bicycles4u.com bikes are re-badged Dahons because they are too cheap. I'd be a bit suspicious the components are not up to much on those bikes.

too cheap, they would have to be really cutting costs.

And the frame's the give-away - all the rebranded dahon's I've seen use the original straight frame but the frame on these looks like the newer style (and very expensive) curved Mu but if you look at the expanded pictures they're clearly different.

The crosssbar on the mu goes in one piece from the handlebar all the way to the rear axle with only a break for the fold and doesn't have an additonal bar going from the rear axle to the cranks to form a triangle, except for a small brace - the strength is presumably coming from not having a join at the seatpost. The crossbar on bicycles4u however stops at the seatpost and there's another bit welded on for the rear wheel but there's no lower bar to strengthen the joint except for the brace. :evil:

Not sure I would want to ride one of those bikes.

a mu http://www.world-wheels.co.uk/09_mup8_big.htm
a bicycle4u http://www.bicycles4u.com/20-fold-bic-6-speed-shimano/LRG-alu_bikes-main.jpg
a traditional dahon http://www.world-wheels.co.uk/09_speedd7_big.htm

Rob

if you want a folder then the first thing to do is establish exactly what you need it for and what features are most important - whether it's going to tbe carried a lot, used on packed public transport, gearing...

Dahons for instance don't fold small but if you're only going to be using it on trains/buses that don't get packed and have space for bikes or prams then that doesn't really matter.

SavageHoutkop said:
If that profile pic is your normal ride I'm not surprised! :evil:

You get used to the small wheels, if it's the ride feel you're talking about. Not sure about the cramped and uncomfortable though - I'm only little but my husband does fine on his.... Which ones have you ridden? (M bars, S bars - and with the longer seatpost?)

Pretty much every folding bike on the market and many adapted ones, too. We have a range of them at Cyclemagic but I hate them all - especially the Birdy and Brompton.

I just think that Bromptons are too small for 14 stone, 6 foot plus blokes. And Yes, I do know that you can adapt them but what's the point? You end up losing some of the folding ability.

Woz!

Hilldodger said:
I just think that Bromptons are too small for 14 stone, 6 foot plus blokes. And Yes, I do know that you can adapt them but what's the point? You end up losing some of the folding ability.

6 foot 3 inches in my socks, 14 and a bit stone. My brompton's fine!
I have the extra length seat post. Generally I leave it extended - the saddle is a bit higher when folded but it works well as a handle. If I want the bike really small I just drop the post down.
Don't really follow your argument!

mark i

It depends why you want to fold. I am 6ft and was 15 1/2 stone when I started multi mode commuting. I wanted the folder to allow me to get any train between solihull and coventry. I had a complete (sturmey) hub failure 3 weeks in. Since then the hub has needed another service (8 months in) There is also rust through the chromed parts of the headset and the front light bracket fatigued and broke....... The local bike shop reckoned that it was my fault. The bike was maintained on a weekly basis, and the hub should not need touching for the first several thousand miles.
I am now down to 13 1/2 stone and use the train one way (local train so my mountain bike fits on at that time in the morning) and I cycle the 15 miles home so the choice of train is unimportant and I use my old mountain bike.
I was bitterly disapointed with Bromptons service. It is now relagated for use when the weather looks too dodgy for the full commute and the train looks like it is needed both ways (snow / ice)

Woz! said:
6 foot 3 inches in my socks, 14 and a bit stone. My brompton's fine!
I have the extra length seat post. Generally I leave it extended - the saddle is a bit higher when folded but it works well as a handle. If I want the bike really small I just drop the post down.
Don't really follow your argument!

I personally don't feel comfortable on small wheeled bikes, especially Bromptons.

And I hate Brompton owners telling me that I should think they are wonderful.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Hilldodger said:
I personally don't feel comfortable on small wheeled bikes, especially Bromptons.

And I hate Brompton owners telling me that I should think they are wonderful.

bromptons are wonderful!!!!!!!!!;):evil::biggrin::evil::evil::evil:

i'm 6ft 16 1/2 stones. i commute 13 each way and leisure ride up to 60 miles (i get further as i get fitter)so far and live in a seriously hilly area. the only thing i have changed are the grips as my i have shovels for hands and reduced gearing. i just think your a tight arse that really wants a brompton but won't pay for the quality.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I think all bikes are wonderful, for varying values of 'wonderful'.
I like my Brommie, but I like Hilldodgers penny as well.
I *may* have to get a penny soon...

Top Bottom