Food topic alert!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm stuffing a mackerel tonight, for want of a good woman, and I've spotted this recipe for an olive dressing.

Waddya think? It doesn't sound good on paper but maybe it would taste good on plate?

For the olive dressingPreparation method.
  1. For the dressing, place the olives, garlic and olive oil into a mini blender and process until smooth.
  2. To serve, place the mackerel onto a serving plate. Pour over the dressing and garnish with fresh basil leaves.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Sounds lovely.
tongue.gif

Add a bag of crisps, and the job's a good'un
smile.gif

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sounds bloody luvvly Rich...
Wonder what Mrs Ian will be cooking (warming up from freezer) tonight for me?

Sounds like a lot of olives: have you got a particularly big mackerel to stuff? And how many is this to serve?

I'm sure it'll work out fine. Kalamata olives are particularly strongly-flavoured: if you think the stuffing is a bit potent, you could try 'diluting' them with some ordinary mild black or green olives. Just a thought. And watch the salt-level - you probably won't need to add any salt!

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Oh - I suppose they would be in an olive stuffing...ahem.

It's a dressing folks!

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
  1. For the mackerel, heat the olive oil and butter in a frying pan. Add the mackerel and sprinkle with rosemary, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Fry for two minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Squeeze over the lemon juice and remove from the heat.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
I'd be dubious about a dressing with that much olive in it, especially as there's nothing to balance them. There's no acidity in there. You'd have to balance it by adding extra lemon to the fish, and then it gets tricky, especially as the fish is also oily. I would generally prefer something lighter and sharper for mackerel. That sounds like a good dressing for a rocket, tomato and feta salad, but YMMV.

Sam

Top Bottom