Food

which country has the best food?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
based on your personal experience. It's obviously a list that depends heavily on my own prejudices and the reports of friends, but if you have a suggestion and I can work out how to jemmy the poll I'll make an addition or two

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Britain can be gloriously good [Cafe Lowery, Ponteland] and undisputably bad.... ie any 'traditional' fish and chip shop which also sells kebabs.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Yep - I've got Britain as the best AND worst. Worst is re-constituted turbo-chef-ed factory food that is an insult to its original idea. Like £2.00 chicken kievs with chips and peas. Best? Watching Ramsay's Best Restaurants makes you happy to live in the UK.

U

User482

Thai food is amazing! Go to any busy street stall in Bangkok and the food is almost certain to be excellent. Brazil & Argentina both good too, but very heavy on the red meat, which can get repetitive.

On balance, I would say Britain as I can get good food in the style of most of the countries Dell has listed. You can't say that about France.

But as has already been noted, British food can also be terrible. Those 2 for 1 meal deals at chain pubs turn my stomach.

Noodley

I'm not sure whether to tick France or, err, France II....

:tongue:

gavintc

Guru
I've had more bad meals in France than I have in the US! :smile:

Thailand was my best - absolutely amazing.

The Italians haven't got a clue about breakfast.

LOL Cappuccino and cornetto, taken standing in a downtown bar, that is an Italian breakfast. Sadly it really does not work in a hotel. So, I do agree, you cannot get a decent breakfast.

gavintc

Guru
I know this may well offend some people, but I have always found German food to be so unimaginative and boring. Great for a short visit, but less than desirable for more than a few days.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It's a slightly strange poll, with so few options for the worst. My actual worst food experince was in Slovakia (which wasn't likely to have featured in anyone's first choice of options, I know): their national dish, halusky, is basically fried pasta with extra bacon fat. It sort of slides down your throat...

I find that it's not so much countries as particular cities that have the best food. And the oustanding city in my own experience is undoubtedly Tokyo, and not for the fancy restaurants (although those are amazing) but the fact that you can find superb little places with a single row of seats at a bar serving beer or sake and a couple of people turning out the most perfect food (from noodles to grilled meats to sushi) in almost any neighbourhood. So it has to be Japan really - Kyoto is almost as good too - they just take food more seriously as part of everyday life.

Top Bottom