Foot problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glover Fan

Evening,

I have just had a problem that come back that I thought had disappeared.

When I got back into cycling back in February I was getting cramp-like pain in my right foot after about 20 miles. Sometimes it would go away, but regardless if it was still present when I got home, it was excruciating pain. Unlike cramp I was unable to suppress the tension in my feet and toes and the pain was centred under the arch of my foot.

I put it down to poor conditioning. I slackened off my shoes incase they were too tight and when I got my new shoes the problem had seemed to have disappeared. I've done 200km rides with no issues for about 6 months.

Last week suddenly it came back, I'd just done a hard 40 miles of hill training and my calf was cramping up a bit, but basically as soon as I put weight through my right foot to pull away I felt the pain, it's like the cleat is right under-neath where the pain originates. Now this was worse than I had ever had before, luckily I was 4 miles from home, so I unclipped but my foot literally froze, my toes had cramped right over inside the shoe and I could barely control them. So I clipped back in and span in a very high gear so I didn't have to put much weight through my foot. Got home and I found a way to relieve the pain and it was to point my toes towards the ceiling and hold it. After 5 minutes I was able to stand on my feet without the pain coming back.

Again, thought it may have been cause I was very dehydrated and had done a hard session. But yesterday I did an easy 40 miles and I could feel the pain coming back. The problem I have is that it only happens on my right foot, never had it even nearly happen with my left foot. I always set off with my right foot, so always put a lot of weight through it and I suppose it is my dominant leg.

The pain is almost undescribable, it's almost not like cramp, but cramp is the closest description to the pain I can give. I've had foot cramps before when swimming, but this is just awful. I have no pain when doing any other activity.

Any thoughts? I have rode clipless for 2 years and never had the issue til this year.

Tyres23

I have the same in my left foot I have even been for a fitting got shims insoles etc and 30-35 miles in bosh left foot in cranp like pain!!!

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
I have the same in my left foot I have even been for a fitting got shims insoles etc and 30-35 miles in bosh left foot in cranp like pain!!!

Normally ill placed cleats, a seat set too high etc can account for a good deal of foot pain. However, you may have something like plantar faciitus (spelling) though this is normally associated with runners rather than cyclists. Hell it may even be cramp from dehydration!

Top Bottom