Football Socks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
What is it with people commuting in football socks?

I'm seeing more and more as the days go by, and i just can't understand why you would do it.

BSA

I did when I first started commuting. I didnt have any cycling gear, it was the only thing I could think of to stop my tracksuit bottoms grom getting caught in the chain.

I now own some Ron Hill bikesters!

wafflycat

They commute in football socks you say? Are football socks the latest form of transport? They'll not get as far as if they were in a car or on a bike, or train..

Seriously... what is it about getting concerned about someone's choice of socks for a commute? May I suggest this: get out more, mix with people, take up an extra hobby.. watch paint dry... :biggrin::biggrin:

u9ge

Generally see a few idiots cycling out of fulham or putney in these, generally happy hockeysticks types with a penchant for jumping lights.

As for Astana kit, some fool in full kit heading aroun Noho in it an hour ago. what did he look like

Davidc

Guru
Come the colder weather and I'll be back in shorts with overtrousers, and long wool socks.

If I get hot the overtrousers come off. The wool socks are comfortable, keep the overtrousers out of the chain, and are still tolerable if they get wet.

Can't stand lycra, so the shorts are standard sports ones (Umbro or similar)

Do I care if it isn't 'standard' cycle wear? - no not a jot! Comfort comes first.

If people want to cycle in football socks good on 'em. After all they're on a bike not in a car, and the socks dont stop cycling being healthy, fun and environmentally benign.

Do they care if it isn't 'standard' cycle wear? - no not a jot!

Landslide

Rare Migrant
wafflycat said:
Seriously... what is it about getting concerned about someone's choice of socks for a commute? May I suggest this: get out more, mix with people, take up an extra hobby.. watch paint dry... :biggrin::smile:

Have you any idea how much thought went into today's apparel???!!! I do it for you, the viewer!!!

Lizban

Never wear football socks on my bike never - rugby socks however all the time.

Why - because I've got about 50 pairs so one is normally clean and it doesn't matter if they get wet/muddy and the little ankle socks have a mind of thier own and never stay where they are left.

Rhys_Po

+1 with Lizban.

Most of my 'Cycling gear' is actually old rugby stuff. One old white training jersey in particular is very liberally covered with dried bloodstains. Funnily enough, I never seem to get abuse from drivers when I wear that one.

Top Bottom