Football World Cup - Russia 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I think everyone in the country hoped we would do well, and hoped we would get to the final. Show me one person who expected us to win the world cup. Betcha can't.
Well obviously i can't name them,unless they're famous and you'd know them yourself,but i think many individuals in places like those 'fan parks' thought England could/would win the world cup. If they didn't why was 'It's coming home' so loudly emphasised? People actually thought we were going to win the world cup. Even i got those thoughts when we reached the semi final,but they soon diminished after we went in 1-0 up at half time,when we should've been 3-0 up.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
but armchair experts are often worse.
If that's aimed at me i think i've stated in the past that by no means do i consider myself an expert on anything football related,well ok apart from shirts maybe.:rolleyes:. I rarely criticise managerial tactics as i'd be clueless myself on how to put out a team. I was just offering my opinions about the world cup and peoples expectations. Call it more of an anthropology observation,rather than a football tactics one.;)

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Well obviously i can't name them,unless they're famous and you'd know them yourself,but i think many individuals in places like those 'fan parks' thought England could/would win the world cup. If they didn't why was 'It's coming home' so loudly emphasised? People actually thought we were going to win the world cup. Even i got those thoughts when we reached the semi final,but they soon diminished after we went in 1-0 up at half time,when we should've been 3-0 up.
I think those in the fan parks probably had "hope" rather than "expectation". You're reading way to much into it. Everyone had fun and got carried away for a few crazy weeks, whether you were a "regular" supporter, or a casual fan, we all felt some hope and sang some silly songs together. That's whats great about football. Isn't it?

Don’t worry about it.

Watching every kind of sport under the sun.
Eating like Henry VIII.
Messing about with chainsaws.

I want your life! :notworthy:

:hugs:

I had the saw out again this morning. :biggrin: I had an apricot tree that decided to cleave itself in two, so had to tidy up the mess. :angel:

Really enjoyed the world cup. Was much more fun because it was unpredictable. England did way better than expected. Would have loved to see them in the final after such a good run, but the certainly squad can't be ashamed after that performance after the last few tournaments. There's still a along way to go before they're in the position to win one of these things, but just hoping that it doesn't go to the players' heads.

Last edited:
Top Bottom