"Fork clamp" cycle carrier advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HopkinsCI

Please can I ask for advice to help me choose the most appropriate roofbar mounted cycle carrier. Actually, cycle carriers, plural, as I need two.

I have many years good experience with Thule products so my first port of call was to look at the FreeRide 530 and ProRide 591 carriers that secure the bike by clamping the forward downtube. My wife's bike has a very oversized alloy downtube though, so I would need to be careful that jaws open wide enough.

By accident however I came across another Thule product, the OutRide 561 that operates by clamping the fork ends with the front wheel removed.

This appeals a lot as the bike will theoretically be more stable, but I wonder about the practicalities of holding bikes on the carrier without slipping whilst securing things and denting the roof from fork-ends in the process. FWIW the car is a Volvo V70, so not a sky scraper MPV.

Advice, as well as alternative products to consider, much appreciated.

Thank you,
HopkinsCI

Will1985

Über Member
Good car to carry bikes - ditto what Mr Paul says. The pro teams do it only when following riders in a race, but then a) they are only driving at 30mph, and :wacko: they can afford to replace forks if they do get damaged.

Have you thought of getting a clip on high? I can't remember which one is compatible, but that is what we used to take my bikes between university and home. Much easier to move the bikes and you protect most of the bike's area from the wind (I'm thinking more about the midges you find on bumpers that will also end up stuck to the handlebars, frame and saddle), which may also reduce drag by a tiny amount!

OP
OP
H

HopkinsCI

Hi User and Will1985,

Looks like it'll be a ProRide 591 then.
Many thanks for your swift advice.

My wife and I discussed clip on racks (both normal height and high) but discounted them (a) because of the inconvenience they cause to boot access and (:smile: because the rear of a V70, like with most estates, is a dirt magnet; the bikes would get covered in a film of gritty grime more so than plonked in full airflow on the roof.

I don't plan on doing what my neighbour two doors down did though; get home with bikes on roof, get distracted to do other jobs, and come back later to put the car in the garage with the bikes still on the roof. Ouch... £££££s...

Cheers,
HopkinsCI

OP
OP
H

HopkinsCI

Follow-up

Thanks again for the Thule 591 advice; I ordered two from the Roofbox Company. Along with new aerobars, a pack of four roof rail clamps, a few quid extra so that one key fits all eight locks, and next day courier, the total bill was £220 in round numbers. Perhaps they can be purchased cheaper elsewhere but from a short Google search this price was competitive and the knowledgeable telephone service I received was great.

Everything is well made as I expect from Thule, and the method of operation of the 591s simply great. Never has fitting a bike on a roof carrier been so easy or so secure. I don't let go entirely before the downtube clamp is secured, but the way it supports the bike whilst still undone is impressive. As you guessed, User, the hugely oversized alloy downtube of my wife's bike fits without problem, and this despite a triangulated cross section to it.

Any gripes? No, none, just one thing that made me smile; the clamps that came with the new roof bars are described as "rapid fit", yet they require many revolutions of a screwjack to secure them. My old Automaxi "Traffic" bars had a simple "cam-over" jaw action. Adjust jaw gap the first time, but every time thereafter; Snap. Done. That is what I actually call rapid. Having sent my old Thule carrier to scrap, I have retained the old roof bars for carrying things other than bikes so the new Thule kit can stay as one assembly.

Cheers,
HopkinsCI

Top Bottom