Forum/Cycling Acronyms and Abbreviations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[Bonj opens mouth, lets stomach rumble] Isn't that to mark the TOP of the mountain, and it's the contours that mark the mountain itself? i.e. "Mt. Snowdon" - that would therefore stand for "Mount", not mountain. Which is placed with a little triangle at the highest point i.e. the summit with a number in feet as to how high it is, along with the "Mt. Snowdon" text, etc.? [Close mouth]

[Bonj burps] Although I realise I must be talking to an expert here, what with the amount of mountains you've got in York... :blush::rolleyes::biggrin: [little bit of sick in mouth]

Yeeeeeeessssss. And all that would change the ABBREVIATION in what way.

bonj2

It doesn't. Mt is an abbreviation of Mount, it's never used as an abbreviation for "mountain". You don't ride a Mount Bike. The fact that Mount is a shortened form of the word Mountain doesn't mean the abbreviation for Mount 'might aswell' also be an abbreviation for Mountain aswell. The fact is, they've used the letters "Mt" because they are the first few letters of the word - it's an abbreviation for Mount - it is used on maps when naming a mountain. Not just to indicate that there's a mountain there.
MTB stands for Multi Terrain Bike - what's confusing you is just that the letters sound a bit like the start of the syllables of the popular synonym "Mountain Bike" - but that doesn't mean the TLA is a shortened form of that synonym.

cake

bonj said:
MTB stands for Multi Terrain Bike...

Can't we just think of MTB as standing for 'Mountain(ous) Terrain Bike' and all be friends...

That's what I have always thought it was, given its origins as 'ATB', with the acronym then changed to accomodate the acceptance into modern parlance of 'Mountain Bike'.

just my TPW (two pence worth),

Cake

cake

Elmer Fudd said:
Tuppence is one word...

I'm afraid I'm not old enough to use quaint terms like 'tuppence' :biggrin:

Maybe I should have said 'TNPW' (Two New Pence Worth)...

Cake

dondare

Über Member
An acronym has to be a set of initials that make a word, not just a set of initials.
(So PART could stand for Pendantic Anally Retentive Twat.
For instance.)

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
dondare said:
An acronym has to be a set of initials that make a word, not just a set of initials.
(So PART could stand for Pendantic Anally Retentive Twat.
For instance.)

I never realised it had to from a word, or be a pronounceable abbreviation:

Word or name that is formed by joining the first letters (or the first few letters) of a series of words. For example, DOS is the acronym for Disk Operating System. An acronym is pronounceable, whereas many other abbreviations are not.

Am I the only one who's been making this mistake for years? :blush:

Zoom

Über Member
BTSIDIGTTS (been there seen it done it got the tee shirt)
TIA (thanks in advance)
IANAL (I am not a lawyer)

has anyone mentioned AASHTA?
(as always Sheldon has the answer;
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/
tells you all you need to know about taking bikes to bit and putting them together and replies to technical queries on forums will often direct you there)

simonali

Guru
dondare said:

I wuz gonna say that. Therefore TLA stands for three letter abbreviation sometimes (most of the time?). Those computer geeks have a lot to answer for (I believe it wwere they who coined the phrase). RAM=3 letter acronym, CPU=3 letter abbr.

Top Bottom